Is Apple rubbing out independent Apple stores?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by LucasLand, Feb 8, 2003.

1. LucasLand macrumors 6502a

Mar 6, 2002
    New England
    I just read at that Apple will be opening a store at Arden fair mall in sacramento. I used to live in Sacto and found this interesting. Just 500 yards from the mall is a mac only store called "mac online" or "planet mac". It is a very nice store will nice employees, except the time the salesman told me what a waste of money an ipod was, as I was buying it!

I'm surprised apple would open a store so close to them. You would think Apple would be a little nicer. I applaud anyone that would open their own computer store that only caters to 6% of overall computer users.

What do you think?

This is their website:

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    Re: Is Apple rubbing out independent Apple stores?

I think that salesman was an idiot and shows why apple is opening there own stores.
  3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    If you've ever been to an Apple store, you know that the employees, even if they don't know everything, definitely like macs and like what they do.

That salesman for the other store obviously had some issues, you never say a customer is buying a piece of crap, or a waste of money. You want to make them feel good about the purchase, regardless.

As for the Apple store openning up so close to an independant Apple store, that sucks and is quite unfortunate. :(

4. mymemory macrumors 68020

May 9, 2001

1. The sales man was right, everything depends of the price. I think the iPod is way over rated.

2. If Apple is opening thier own stores are because not every Apple seller are treating their public the best they can and Apple just want to be 100% sure their products are sold.

I'm sure I'm not the only one with a bad experience buying a Mac. Once I got a refurbish powerbook sold as a brand new unit and later an employee told me my refurbish 20" monitor had one year warranty whe it had only 3 months.

So, imagine that you are producing at you 100% and the sales people are working at their 80% or less.

An Apple store will take care at the costumer at a 100% or more, just with Apple products. Apple is protecting their back really hard.
  5. LucasLand thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mar 6, 2002
    New England
    So far I've read some really good points. it's a shame that someone who owns an apple-only store doesn't go out 100% for customers.

I also forgot to mention that 500 yards in the other direction of Arden fair mall is a Compusa, which of course sells Macs.

None of them matter to me anyway. In my experience the best place to shop is Macmall. They always give away frees stuff like RAM & printers. And depending on where you live you might not have to pay sales tax.

6. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    the apple independent stores in my works, computerware, and elite computer are all better than the apple company store in cupertino

but outside of the mecca of northern california and silicon valley, i have no idea how independent apple computer stores operate

the more exposure non-mac people have to macs, either thru an apple store or an apple independent store, the better

macs more than any computer i have ever seen or used, look so much better in person than on a print ad or online

gateway works with online sales mostly with a few gateway stores and dell does, too...but for a small company like apple, they need to be wherever they can go

1.5% percent market share, high hardware prices, slow speeds, and a low stock value are not things that give me a whole lot of confidence in apple inc

so keep the independent stores

if apple goes online only, i will cut my ties with them...which dates back to my first apple product in the 1970s and go linux on a pc

some products can only be bought online and since i like to try out a machine first before dumping a considerable amount of cash into it, i won't buy something online without trying it...a computer is too personal of an item

now inkjet cartridges, adapters, laptop bags, keyboards, cable, inexpensive software, and games are things i can feel relatively safe to buy online without trying first
  7. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    dont you guys already know, resellers are the dirt inside the tread of steve's shoes. Apple could care less about resellers. and once again i hope that those resellers win that lawsuit, im behind them all the way.

8. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    assuming sj feels that way, if apple becomes only online and there is not an "official" store near enough to me, then they will lose my business

sj was good for apple in order to save the company in late-96 thru late-98, but i don't really know about now...sometimes i wish for scully, amelio, and least they did not see apple's market share dip below 2% percent under their watch

sure, you could blame some of it on the tech and downturn mixed in with this current recession, but at one point the board will have to judge sj's performance on the bottom line and not get sentimental about the fact that he was the co-founder

hp did not get sentimental about keeping hp away from compaq and went for it...and so far, carly fiorina's move has worked and things are going to be looking up for hp...she took a giant gamble and it worked

for an interesting summary on the corporate history of apple, check out
  9. Rajj macrumors 6502a

May 29, 2002
    32° 44' N 117° 10' W
    It is called capitalism!!!;)
    Unfortunately it is the law of the land!!