Is Apple Soft on Crime?

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Jan 11, 2008.

1. macrumors bot

[​IMG]

Category: 3rd Party Hardware
    Link: Is Apple Soft on Crime?
    Description:: But here’s the real question: could a climbing crime rate and the rise of the iPod be related? Has the iPod's design increased its likelihood of theft, and if so, what role could Apple's designers play in developing solutions?

Posted on MacBytes.com
    Approved by Mudbug

2. jhu
    macrumors 6502a

jhu

what the crap? this happens with popular items. you might as well mandate nike installing anti-shoe-theft devices.

3. macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Well, no. Thats a stupid example because shoes get stolen far less frequently then iPods in my experience. However, this isn't Apples fault at all and this article is one of the "dumbestest" things I've read all week.

4. macrumors 65816

arogge

How about The North Face jackets? The iPod is simply a hugely-popular item, and thieves want to steal it because it seems to be worth money on the black market. Unfortunately, the victims sometimes lose more than their iPods or hugely-popular jackets.

5. macrumors 604

CalBoy

I'm guessing that some of this is worsened by the fact that people resist handing over their iPods. It's just a small material object. It's certainly not worth your life. If someone is threatening your life, give it up. $300 now is certainly worth less than your life.

6. jhu
    macrumors 6502a

jhu

or their nike sneakers

7. macrumors member

Oh please. The problem is with society (and courts etc) being soft on crime - not manufacturers. Realistically what sort of punishment can the theif expect even if he is caught for what is viewed as a petty crime. A slap on the wrist and request to please dont do it again.

Here in New South Wales, Australia, the goverment proposed imposing on the spot fines for some crimes (to free up courts from having to deal with such 'petty' crimes) - and the immediate response from ciminals was that it just meant they had to steal a bit more to cover the fine - assuming they gave their real name in the first place.

I dont have a solution, but blaming the manufacturer - get real. Lets start with blaming the people who commit the crime, in the knowledge that even if they are caught the punishment will not be that serious.

8. macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Good point. Anyone remember what they do to you in Singapore (I think)? If more modern societies started caning or had a lot harsher punishments, crime would go way, way down. Heck, fining someone for stealing isn't a deterrent when people would rather pay a speeding ticket than stop speeding. I mean, that's just common sense.

9. macrumors newbie

Ah Yes! the Shangri La of Singapore

but I don't think they give the lash so much to thieves, rapists, etc. as much as vandals, people spitting or chewing gum ...

... and I'm not too sure what the punishment is for an unlicensed 'gathering' of more than 5 people - but I know it's illegal ...

yes, I'm sure all the ne'er-do-wrongs would love it out there ... :rolleyes:

10. macrumors member

Brilliant

in its ability to refocus an age-old problem on a company that has returned to the forefront of technology. Classic fear mongering and rampant speculation, especially considering the FBI just reported violent crimes were at an all time low in this country. slow news day?

11. macrumors newbie

Maybe you should deport them all to an island halfway around the world?

12. macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Ooh, I have an idea. Apple should put a taser-device on the iPod, so that if it detects when different fingerprints are touching it, and then it tasers the new holder if a pass code isn't entered in 10 seconds :p Maybe that will help Apple control thieves and be a more "socially concious" company. I mean, what kind of company doesn't make their products resistance to being taken? Even better, let's have them put a mind-control device in it, so that if it hears the threat "give me your iPod, or else..." it will take control of the owner's mind and make them give it to the thief. [/sarcasm]

Do these people who write this seriously think that Apple is responsible for thieves stealing popular things? That's the kind of thinking that breeds the, we-need-a-law-for-everything-so-we-can-control-society-to-exactly-what-I-want way of thinking. Ugh..

13. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It's more a cultural thing to be honest, pretty crime is low throughout south-east asia, its not just Singapore.

14. macrumors 603

mrkramer

I think this is the mos rediculous article I have read in a long time. The manufarcturer has nothing to do with the theft of their items, if you are going to blame anyone other than the theif then you should blame the owner for not concealing it well enough.

15. macrumors 6502a

Yes, the thief is still to blame for the crime but you can still ask what the manufacturer or distributor is doing to help reduce the chances.

A simple example is car theft; car manufacturers are not to blame for the theft of cars but by ramping up security through immobilisers and fitting tracking systems, they make casual car theft harder and increase the chances of criminal and property being found. Looking at the statistics of stolen cars http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6201797.stm you can see that it is older cars without these measures that tend to get TWOCed.

In the UK the major phone networks immobilise 80% of stolen phones within 48 hours of their reported theft. This isn't a perfect mechanism and is also supported by new legislation to prevent re-programming phone's IMEI numbers but it serves to deter casual theft (I believe these measures came into effect mid-2006 so we will have to see what the overall effect is).

The point here is that Apple, especially with the end-to-end system they produce for the iPod, could develop measures to disable stolen iPods, thereby reducing the incentive to steal them. Apple aren't to blame for theft but, so far, they have apparently chosen not to help reduce the problem.

16. macrumors member

Solution

It's easy. Just have iTunes check the serial number when connected to the internet, and have it disable the iPod, if the customer reports it as stolen.

17. j26
    macrumors 65816

j26

That's fine and would be of benefit to a lot of people, but what about when I ring up for the fun of it and report your iPod as stolen?

18. macrumors 6502a

How do you know my serial number, who told you?

Apple: soft on crime, soft on the causes of crime. They need to start supporting literacy classes and drop in centres for young ne'erdowells.

19. j26
    macrumors 65816

j26

Say I'm a friend of yours who fancies playing a joke, so I have a look at your iPod and get the serial number.

20. macrumors 6502a

With friends like you, who needs enemies.

You could of course do the same with someone's mobile phone, it would make you a wan*er of course.

21. j26
    macrumors 65816

j26

This is what people do, sad but true.

I know people who broke into my voicemail and changed the welcome message.

22. macrumors 6502

thegman1234

That alone wouldn't get your iPod returned to you however. My first iPod was stolen because I left it somewhere (I know dumb move, it was unintentional) and I had hoped that Apple had a system like this but of course they don't.

If reported stolen, they would have to track the serial number through iTunes, and then verify by IP address if the iPod is connected to a computer other than the owners. Then a police report would have to be filed by Apple, the thief would then have to found, and the iPod would have to be returned.

Not only is that a lot of work for a 350 dollar or less device, but it's not full proof, and I'm not too sure Apple could get the rights to do this. And even this type of procedure would still be left open to pranks.

Disabling the iPod would just get the thief mad, and most likely make him/her break it or throw it out.

A POP insurance plan would probably be a better idea. Apple could use the serial number to disable a lost or stolen iPod, then replace it with the insurance policy. This way you couldn't use your insurance policy to get a new iPod for yourself, and give your friend the old one.

This kind of scheme is probably the reason why cell phone companies insurance policies are so terrible. Five dollars a month every month, and then you STILL have to pay about half price for the new one, and it isn't even new, it's refurbished.

As nice as it would be for Apple to have a theft policy, there's really not much they can do IMO.

23. macrumors 6502

CJRhoades

LOL. I'd like to see what happens to the guy that kills somebody over an iPod...

24. macrumors 604

CalBoy

The article indicated that a woman did die because her daughter cried out for help...

25. macrumors 6502

CJRhoades

I didn't read the article...