Is Apple stuff good quality??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Ben1l, Mar 28, 2007.

1. Ben1l macrumors regular

The answer is yes, it must be. Cause it takes idiots like me to find out.
    I accidentally put my Apple Remote through a full 40-degree wash and tumble dry and the tough little thing comes out working like nothing had ever happened! I won’t be trying it with my iMac, but I think it proves a good point about Apple build quality!

2. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

That my friend is completely a matter of personal opinion.

My iPod seems durable enough but I haven't dropped it yet. My Macbook is suffering from discolouration, a faulty SuperDrive and did have the Random Shutdown.

So I guess it's all down to experience. However, their OS is top notch. :D

3. nickweston macrumors member

numbers speak louder than opinion

Apple customer since 1984:

SE
    SE-30
    IIci
    Powerbook 1400
    Powerbook 520c
    Performa 6400
    iMac original
    G3 Beige
    G3 Blue & White
    iPod 20g
    17" LCD Monitor
    2 iPod shuffles
    G4
    23" Cinema monitor
    iBook G3
    iMac 17" v2
    iPod photo 60g
    Powerbook G4
    iPod Nano
    G5 Dual 2gig
    MacBook white
    MacBook Pro dual core

NOT ONE HARDWARE PROBLEM!!!!! That's quite a record.

4. polevault139 macrumors 6502

I just accidentaly put my 2 Generation Shuffle in the wash and it still works fine. My friend's 5.5G iPod went through the wash and came out good. My other friends iBook G4 was dropped from about 3 feet up and the only thing that went wrong was the hard drive a few days later. I'd say the build quality is good, but some people jsut get unlucky and get a lemon.

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The think to remember is that the stuff inside an Apple are the same inside a Windows box. The difference is design and how they use the parts inside to make the computer better.

When you buy Apple you are buying design and better build quality. What's inside is about the same.

6. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

better build quality? are you sure? what makes you think that? apple doesn't build the stuff themselves, you know

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Neither does Dell or HP but Apple's stuff looks better.

8. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

:confused: i didn't say anything about the design... i agree that apple stuff look better

but going back to build quality? anything?

9. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

apple remote, lol, u try wash your mac computer, see how well it was built :D

10. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I've had good luck with my Apple's too, with the exception of an iMac G5 that had a harddrive fail about 30 days after I bought it and was extremely loud. Not much you can do about HDDs failing, but I attribute the higher than normal failure rate in the iMac G5's to the same thing that caused the excessive noise: to much heat in a little box! Apple's stuff is usually pretty good quality; that is they take care to source quality components. However, I think they have been sacrificing performance and reliability for style the last several years. I'm hoping that changes!

PS Can I borrow some money? You clearly have enough of it to go around. ;)

11. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Pish posh - I've had over 80 Macs roll through my doors. One PowerBook had a hard drive that needed replacement after only 3 months. Two old Power Macs had motherboards die.

That's it.