Is apple stuffing itself?

Discussion in 'Community' started by LPenguin, Aug 2, 2005.

1. LPenguin macrumors newbie

From what I've read it looks like apple will offer trusted computing before even MS do, a risky choice?

Apple were poised in a position where when the TCPA movement failed, they could position themselves as an alternative, a machine you could actually be in control of and not have to jump through hoops to perform everyday tasks. They could position themselves as the safe alternative.

So what did they do? They decided to go full force and bear the brunt of what I am convinced will turn out to be a complete failure. You think the P3 ID numbers caused havoc, TCPA beats that hands down... And all of this at the same time as a massive shift to an inferior processor. Hats off Steve, I think you're about to wreck apple.

[edit]
    And what about the loyal fans apple are messing about with?
    [/edit]

Now is the perfect time to buy a mac, if this goes wrong, apple are stuffed, and if it goes right, consumers are stuffed.

--James

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

At minimum, they want to secure the use of Mac OS X to only work on certain hardware--their own--this is reasonable and necessary. It's no more than they've already done.

If they go all the way, it seems a double-edged sword, affecting both the company and the consumers. A bit of faith is necessary here to believe that they won't upend all of us into doing whatever media companies would like to do, rather than giving us some freedom.

I hope they'll remain a bit less heavy-handed than the media industry would have them do.

3. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I won't touch the TCPA agrument, but I just want to say that I don't get it. When Apple was PPC, everyone keeps moaning about how inferior PPC is, how the x86 world is speeding ahead leaving Apple in the dust, how slow Motorola and IBM are delivering. Then when Apple switches to x86, you suddenly made a turn-face and whine about how x86 is inferior to the superior PPC.

Now I'll let others tackle your TCPA agrument, but I'll tell you this, Intel processors will NOT be inferior to PPC processors. Period.

4. LPenguin thread starter macrumors newbie

How about some nice figures to say otherwise, and not forgetting apple's own marketing with the `MHz Myth`.

The PPC is superior in my experience. Using Folding@Home as a way of benchmarking performance, I found 900Mhz worth of PPC on MacOS Jaguar to whoop the ass on my lightweight gentoo 1.5Ghz intel (Over twice the performance). Bearing in mind I can get quite some scaling down done to gentoo, and comparing that against the full on MacOSX...

The PPC is no slouch...

And x86 has always been inferior, its benefits are in reduced cost and industry backing.

As for the TCPA handle, well they already did Itunes DRM so I have no reason to suspect we will get anything better out of them than total domination by the MPAA and RIAA

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

if you dont like it you dont have to buy it, remember that.

and i dont know why you think that the DRM in iTunes is Apple letting the RIAA have it's way with them, the iTunes DRM is fairly balanced, and there is no subscription model for iTunes, which is what the RIAA really wants to push, the RIAA wants to have flexible pricing so that they can rake in more money, but Apple insists on the .99 price tag.... stop trying to start a flame war

6. ja0912 macrumors member

The x86 chips that will be used in Macs do not even exist yet, so I don't know what chips we are comparing here. I'm under the impression they won't resemble the pentium 4, but rather the pentium M.

And I too am staying out of the DRM discussion.

7. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

first, do you know the advantages and disadvantages between a CISC vs RISC architecture? Do you know how it effects benchmarks like 3D rending, video encoding, audio encoding, complex scientific calculations? what about the heat related issues on both architectures?

i'll bite on the TCPA/TCG. The protocol from TCG is Trusted Network Connect, TNC 1.0, which is a network protocol. the only hardware that will support this will be intel for awhile. looking at the way microsoft is going with TNC apple will be eventually shut out of the networks in the long term because they won't able to support it in the short term i.e. no intel hardware. however, TCG might kill or at least slow down the GNU GPL movement which is interesting because OS X kernel, Darwin, is under OSI-approved license which some parts under GNU GPL. i think it going to interesting to see how the open source community will deal with this.

8. LPenguin thread starter macrumors newbie

I do my homework, yes.

Especially given the famous Stallman Article here which puts it into perspective that it completely undermines the free software movement (not that people didnt already figure that). What he makes nice and clear is the benefit it has to corporations and the damage it can do to consumers. The linux kernel will run on TC hardware, but none of the possibilities to restrict freedom will be invoked. A big issue is for windows where open-source development is stuffed...

@Earlier concerns: Im not trying to start a flamewar, Im trying to see what other people think about this issue. The outcome of it will likely decide if I buy a 20" Imac or not (given what other people think of the future of apple).

9. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....there is already this other thread where people are discussing the whole TCPA issue.....oh yeah!

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Interesting, I folded faster on a 633 MHz Celeron than an 800 MHz G3.

11. LPenguin thread starter macrumors newbie

The PPC i referenced earlier was a g4.

I will go have a look at the other thread.

Thanks, people

--James

12. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Just out of interest, what system was that? I thought the G4 went from 867 straight up to 933, and I thought the only 900 was a G3.

13. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

You're correct, but there are third-party 900 MHz G4 upgrades available.

14. LPenguin thread starter macrumors newbie

It was a dual 450. But even that doesnt make up for whooping a 1.5Ghz LinTel