Is AppleCare needed to do a direct mail-in repair?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by slb, Mar 8, 2006.

1. slb macrumors 6502

I've spoken to Apple support twice through Apple Web Chat and once on the phone, and I'm confused about AppleCare. Am I allowed to request a direct mail-in for repairs on my iMac with my complimentary support, or do I have to purchase the three-year AppleCare Protection Plan for such support features? Is there a difference between complimentary support and AppleCare besides the length of time they're good for? For various reasons, I can't make the 70-mile trip to the nearest authorized tech location, and I need to mail my computer in somehow.

2. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

When my iBook logic board failed during its first year Apple sent a S.A.S.Box to my house free of charge. If they acknowledge you have a faulty iMac demand a shipping box.

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Yeah, you can do mail in repairs without AppleCare as long as you're under the 1 year warranty.

4. slb thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. I was confused since the gentleman I spoke with in Apple Chat never mentioned this possibility and tried to get me to do onsite repair through AppleCare, which I'm out of range for anyway.