Is Applecare trans-national?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by pusman83, Jun 2, 2005.

1. pusman83 macrumors regular

I am planning on buying a Rev B. iMac 20'' and will probably spend a year or a bit less in Europe this fall. Will Applecare cover me abroad? What do people recommend I do in regards to AC?

Also, without AC, the first year only has no phone support, correct?

2. FireArse macrumors 6502a

Applecare abroad

Hey

I asked an Apple Store rep who thought all the AppleCare's were Internetional - BUT it seems that only the portable items are. I wanted to buy a PM from the states while i was studying there - but when the rep said you'd only be able to claim back in the US that stopped my ideas dead in their tracks!

Do find out though - i asked this over a year ago - with these things the details can change either way.

FireArse

3. Kushiro macrumors member

I'm not sure about the desktop models, but the laptops are not a problem. My US-bought iBook developed logic board problems while I was living in Switzerland, and it was a snap to get everything fixed up here.

On a somewhat related note, I've found that the phone support here (Switzerland, if not Europe) has been excellent. Heck, they were always good to me despite the fact that I often force the native French-speaking support person to switch over to English. :eek:

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

According to the US store's AppleCare pdf (here), the transnational thing only applies to portables and the mini. I doubt you could argue the iMac G5, despite its small depth, is a portable. :(

5. pusman83 thread starter macrumors regular

The guy at the store answered that it wasn't.

So should I just get it once I get back?

6. deebster macrumors 6502

You can buy AppleCare at any time before your standard 1 year warranty expires, so if you are going to be away for less than that 1 year you may as well wait.

The only thing you will lose out on is phone support, which is only for the first 90 days after purchase.

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You could always look at getting a laptop. It'd be covered internationally as well as being somewhat easier to transport.

8. nerdynomad macrumors newbie

Sometimes you get a better deal on the machine plus applecare upfront when you buy them together. I did, buying at a university computer store, saved about $200.

9. nerdynomad macrumors newbie

Applecare does offer at least some international support. I bought a powerbook in New York before I left to live in London (last September). The computer and applecare agreement are both registered to a US address. There had been a problem with the magnetic clasp on purchase but since I was heading right out of town, the guy at the applestore suggested I just deal with it in London.

I didn't bother until more recently when there was a problem with the connector to the power adapter that needed to be taken care of. I took the machine to the store on Regent Street and they sent it right out to an apple repair center here (in Dublin I think). It took a slight bit longer than these things take in the states, as everything here does, but I got it back practically brand spanking new. They replaced the bottom half of the case and did a few other repairs I hadn't requested. Overall I had a better experience than I have had in the US with previous powerbooks. I also made use of telephone support once and there was no problem to just connect me to a support guy here (also in Dublin).

If you are travelling to a city like London, Tokyo or Sydney, let's say, you will have no problem. That being said, I doubt that you would have an easy time trying to get your powerbook repaired from a place with less reliable shipping carriers and transit routes. I wouldn't bother from any place where say, fresh drinking water would be more valuable and rightly of greater concern than your powerbook (ie most of the world).

10. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

be wary with the imac, most only work on either 230V or 130V so if you plug it in the wrong plug it could fry.

i'd just get a powerbook.

11. deebster macrumors 6502

The tech specs page on Apple's site says 'Line voltage: 100-240V AC' with no caveats or notes, so perhaps the new models are fully international now. I think I read another post somewhere here that said the same.

To nerdynomad: Your PowerBook was covered by the international warranty as referred to above, so you were fully entitled to receive the service you did wherever in the world you were, regardless of where you bought the PB from.

12. pusman83 thread starter macrumors regular

Indeed, the iMac works on all power sources now (with adaptor).

Laptop ain't my thing - I'd end up forgetting it somewhere.

13. minimax macrumors 6502

Does anybody know about Apple's standard warranty? is that one international accepted for the powerbook and mini as well?

14. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Yes standard 12month warranty.