Is Audion any good?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by job, Jul 24, 2002.

1. job macrumors 68040

job

I have been using iTunes for a while now, but I stumbled across Audion by Panic and it seemed to by a very good mp3 player with support for several different formats. It includes all the features of iTunes but also supports a plethora of skins and other neat features like mixing tracks etc.

Is it worth the $29.95?

2. whfsdude macrumors 6502a

I think they have a demo. Anyway from what I hear I would give it 5 stars. But then again why buy something if you have no use for it :D

3. job thread starter macrumors 68040

job

I'm thinking about putting an mp3 player on my old Powerbook G3 that does not support X, therefore, also does not support iTunes 3. I'm thinking of dropping iTunes altogether anyways.

4. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

I would prefer iTunes over most other MP3 playing software, even though I did accidently delete all my playlists a few hours back :mad:

I used to use SoundJam and that was brillient but iTunes works well, also I listen to alot of radio with its tuner.

Ensign

5. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

Audion is the best alternate mp3 player out, you can batch encode stuff and encode in mp3pro, a new lower bitrate version of mp3......but the interface lags, its get pretty complicated when you have the windows open

but this is the best alterante out there

6. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

I used to use it to blow away my windows friends with the skins. I am an itunes convert, but I think I'll download it and give it a try again. I used to use it in os 9. I will give it 9/10.

7. King Cobra macrumors 603

Audion is absolute CRAP! I tried playing a song on Audion and I barely heard the lyrics. The song quality was terrible, and the features are to pay for.

This was between iTunes 1.1 and Audion 2.5 demo. I had better luck with SoundJam than Audion. But iTunes would still beat them out.

What's the purpose of an mp3 player if it can't play them correctly?

8. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

I tried it out today (which is what is relevant, not a year ago kcobra) and the sound quality is perfect. But why pay for audion when you can use itunes? Just for the skins?

9. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

I used Audion 2.6.1 for a while. Its MP3 playback engine uses a bit less CPU than iTunes does, and it supports some GREAT skins. The only reason I like iTunes better is because it has superior playlist support. (And Audion is not free.)

10. job thread starter macrumors 68040

job

The only reason why I was considering buying Audion was because I recently aquired an original G3 Powerbook from a friend and I'm not planning on even trying to put X on it. I am however in need of a mp3/audio CD player for it. It is running Mac OS 9.0/8.6(on the internal). It has severe stability issues with 9.X, so 8.6 looks to be my main OS for the laptop.

11. Maeglin OSX macrumors newbie

Audion not all that

I'd stick with iTunes because there are some flaws with Audion. Audion may have more features than iTunes but the fact is that Audion is a slow app. It takes up a lot more processing power than iTunes which means it's slower. Audion isn't worth $30 unless you need the extra features.