Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FooArk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 16, 2011
No sales tax, free shipping, good return policy.

Any other places that offer this or better?

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
No sales tax, free shipping, good return policy.

Any other places that offer this or better?

B&H is a good place to buy a lot of things. And they are an authorized Apple reseller. I buy lots of stuff from them, even though I pay NYC sales tax.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
I'd buy it directly from Apple, but I LOVE their store (actually stumbled upon it by accident). I have ordered camera stuff from them before, always had a good experience.

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
Can't go wrong with B&H. My new iPad came from them since Amazon has an issue with carrying these.

NewtonApple

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2012
Ellijay GA
I always prefer B and H or Amazon. With Amazon's prices being higher, if you are in no hurry and want to save sales tax, B and H is a good choice. Both have a return policy that can not be beat.

If by chance you are possible leaning towards the OCD side, I would pay the sales tax and buy from your local Apple store. But if something is wrong with your B and H unit, The Apple store will make it right!

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
B&H is a highly reliable reseller and the Jews are the chosen people so you got that going for you too. :D

seeharrison

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2011
J&R and MacMall both offer no tax and free shipping to Texas. I think MacMall charges tax for California residents and J&R charges tax for New York residents.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Funny, most of you are probably unaware of how BAD B&H was in years past.

I think the whole internet buying market has forced them to be more reputible.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
No sales tax
Depends on where you're located (don't assume that everyone's situation is identical to your own) but, yes, B&H is a reputable reseller with competitive pricing. Best? Subjective, as with any topic.

xav8tor

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2011

I think the whole internet buying market has forced them to be more reputible.

That is news to me. I've bought thousands of dollars worth of goods from B&H since the late 80's and never had anything other than a great experience with them. Now if you are thinking about many other lesser known but highly advertised (lower priced) NYC area camera stores, then yes, there are dozens of terrible ones, but B&H is not one of them, not even close. Having said that, for me, local sales tax is usually worth the price to me for the store experience, comfort, and security of buying Apple from Apple.

henryp

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2007
New York, NY
B&H is a good place to buy a lot of things. And they are an authorized Apple reseller. I buy lots of stuff from them, even though I pay NYC sales tax.

Thank you. Much appreciated and very gratifying.

J&R and MacMall both offer no tax and free shipping to Texas. I think MacMall charges tax for California residents and J&R charges tax for New York residents.

B&H is obliged to collect sales tax if you buy in our retail store and take your merchandise with you or if your order is shipped to any address inside NY state. If your merchandise is shipped anywhere else we do not (at this time) add sales tax. Depending on the law in your state, you may be liable for use tax.

News to me, but I've only been working here for 15 years. I was a full-time working pro before I came here and a regular customer and wouldn't have taken the job if I thought the company was "bad." FWIW in resellerratings.com we have 31,569 lifetime reviews and we're proud of our lifetime 9.72/10 overall rating, which we work diligently to maintain.

Last edited:

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Next time I get more lenses for my SLR, I'm seriously considering going to the store and buying them, or buying them online. I've had nothing buy good experiences with B&H.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.