Is Battlefield 2 coming to MAC?

Discussion in 'Games' started by GreyFox1221, Aug 30, 2005.

1. GreyFox1221 macrumors regular

It looks so sweet. I know EA came out with the Sims 2 for MAC. Think this will get the treatment?

2. AppleAce macrumors regular

I think this has been discussed before, and IIRC, BF 2 uses the Havok physics engine, and like HL 2, will not be ported to OS X.

3. biohazard6969 macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

4. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

It's not entirely certain... There has been a lot of discussion about Havok engine. Havok has already been ported to mac, but its developers require a ridiculous amount of money to let it be used on the mac.

The sure thing is that we won't see BF2 in the near future.

5. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

I don't think BF2 will come to the Mac, but I expect BF3 will be (probably be released in about 12months). But it will probably be Intel Mac only.

6. mattmack macrumors 6502a

mattmack

The other problem would be the lisencing fee that Game spy requires from the software manufacturers. If BF2 did make it to mac it would probably be w/o Gamespy, which would hamper online offerings of the game

7. hob macrumors 68020

hob

Maybe it's about time someone developed a gaming operating system. Something that could be run across platforms (or at least x86). Just so you could use your PC or Mac more like a console. Buy a game, know it would work cross-platform. Drop the disc in and fire it straight up.

8. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

9. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

it's out for xbox already, iirc. at least a demo is. it's sure a sweet game!

10. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Operating systems aren't the problem. Many games are developed for Mac and Windows and run fine on both (Blizzard does this, Aspry's main purpose in life is this, etc). It's the way the 3D graphics are displayed. It's either OpenGL (runs on everything), or DirectX (runs on Windows). There's no money really backing OpenGL, while Microsoft can give DirectX all the money it wants, so DirectX is faster, and Windows is 90% of all computers, so developers often choose to use DirectX :(

11. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Well, it's possible. Battlefield 1942 game to the mac, just three years late, right? :p So maybe in three years...

12. hob macrumors 68020

hob

Well I guess, unless they already have, it would be in Aspyrs best interest to develop some kind of direct x emulation for mac? Hmmm... I dunno if Microsoft would license that though...

13. Mosquitto macrumors newbie

I have many sources working in Aspyr, and Battlefield 2 is coming to Mac early 2006.

14. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

Excuse me if I'm a bit sceptical...

15. applekid macrumors 68020

Some people will say that the Desert Combat mod for the BF1942 is plenty good or even better than BF2 (DC is by some of the guys that worked on BF2 from what I understand. Sorta like how Valve hired the CS guys for the CS:Source). Personally, I haven't played DC, so I can't say much, but I will say BF2 definitely feels more like everything BF1942 had except a little more modern looking. I wasn't too impressed with the demo map. Not the best shooter I've played, and didn't have me addicted long.

16. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

No. It's not that way. Where did you hear that? The way I see it, OpenGL is far more supported. It is supported from The OpenGL Architecture Review Board (ARB) which is an independent standards consortium formed in 1992.

As of November 2004, Promoter-level members (with a formal vote in the body) include 3Dlabs, Apple, ATI, Dell Computer, IBM, Intel, NVIDIA, SGI, and Sun Microsystems. A partial list of Contributor-level members includes Evans and Sutherland, Imagination Technologies, Matrox, Quantum3D, S3 Graphics, Spinor GmbH, Tungsten Graphics, and Xi Graphics.

I would say that OpenGL will not ever fall behind DirectX...

Also, DirectX is not faster. It is equivalent with OpenGL. Try looking to these forums for topics regarding the battle between DirectX and OpenGL in PC's and then see that programmers are really divided into two parts. Both parts support their API. And they end up saying that both API's are equivalent.

17. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

I loved Desert Combat. I was one of the two games I really struggled to do without when I switched in November as I got rid of my PC setup completely.
    I was visiting a mate back up in my home town of Liverpool, and he spent aroudn 2k on a PC gaming rig late last year - and he had BF2 running. I had to really struggle to pull myself away from playing it!

Its so good, I doing what I swore I would never do again...... build a PC. This time however things are different. This thing is to play games, pure and simple. The only non gaming item that may make it on is MSN Messenger, but thats it. I've got my PB for everything else!

Can't wait to get back online, and start earning those experience points and get me some of those wonderful toys!!

18. mattmack macrumors 6502a

mattmack

Desert combat works on macs now that Aspyr patched BF 42

19. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

Which is great.... but as a port its pretty poor. I haven't played it on my current PB, but on my RevD 12" it was unplayable. Besides, the new format seen in BF2 - the team playing, the new more balanced weapons and vehicles, is definately worth the effort. If the new Intel Macs get all of the PC games (after I presume the normal delay) and are able to play them as smoothly as we should be able to and also that we can play on the same servers as those with PC's, then I can get shot of the PC again!

20. Thidranki macrumors member

Thidranki

Mac Console gaming

If more and more games begin to develop for the mac (like they should) that did well on the PC, then those games will pretty much have the whole Mac gamers playing them. If HL2 came out on mac, they would have more members then they would know what to do with.

I think that if Mac was to really turn around the market share, more games are going to have to come their way. Among my friends, the number one reason that they dont' get a Mac is because they can't play counter strike or this game or that game on it. (Personally, I'd really like to start playing CS and BF2 on my mac.)

Well, thats my 2 cents.
    Oh, and down with Windows!

21. aafuss1 macrumors 68000

aafuss1

It's a lot like with flight Simulator-FS or AOEIII won't be available on the Mac (the first uses DX, second uses Havok and GameSpy-but maybe with Mactel). So we have to use X-Plane which doesn't have as much add-ons (PMDG for instance)

22. shenysys macrumors newbie

If it does come to Mac, hopefully it will be better than what the PC version was when first released !.
    PC version was full of bugs & has had 3 patches come out so far !.

Shen

23. mattmack macrumors 6502a

mattmack

Yes that is what I heard as well and if EA is going to release a product like that then I don't know if I want them (Aspyr) to waste time porting it :mad:

24. plastique45 macrumors regular

Supported, not promoted. Supported means stuff written in OpenGL will work with or on stuff by these companies. 99.9% of ALL computer games are written and optimised for DirectX only.

25. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

what would run it if it did get ported? And it wasnt that buggy either though a little out dated on some things. The last patch was almost purely gameplay adjustments to somewhat nullify ovepowering tactics like black hawk whoring the modern game allows alot of room for personal creativity when you get thousands of minds building strategies somebody is going to come up with an overly dominant one EA is just rebalancing.