Is Boot Camp a failure?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by sam10685, Apr 15, 2006.

1. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

i've been flying around on the web and it seems most things (not all) say windowz on a mac is bad. anyone out there having success with it?

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

any links that prove this? because AFAIK it works just fine for the majority of people, lets not forget - people with problems are always louder than those with no problems.

side note: i was at CompUSA the other day, and they had installed and were running windows on an iMac.

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Some people are having problems, but they are not the majority. Plus, remember that this is a public beta. The point of a public beta is to get customers to test your software so you can work out the bugs before you create a final version.

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Simple boot camb is beta software for testing. It's not a finished product at all.

I have had no problems getting bootcamp running, driver installed.

In fact it was a damn site quicker than some of the pc's I had to repair and then re-install, struggling to find drivers etc...

Boot Camp is NOT a failure in that sense, however it's a failure for apple as it proves once and for all that certain applications, like Games will always run better in a buggy, messy with risdual traces of win 95 operating system that is XP; than they ever do in apples newly built from scratch OS X. Which is kind of sad....

But that is a different argument / hypothesis entirly....

Bootcamp works, a bit too well for my liking ;) :D :D

5. sabor macrumors regular

sabor

Look, the reason why people are having issues with WoM (Windows on Mactel) is because these are mostly people who have never installed Widows in the first place.

I installed Windows using the unofficial hack released a month ago - success. I then used the BootCamp approach - success. I was playing Dungeon Siege 2 booted onto Windows yesterday and its performance is jaw dropping.

I seriously don't know what people are doing to screw this up, it really is a stupid-proof procedure. :confused:

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I wonder if it might have something to do with the Mactels that seem to have had funny images of the OS X partition put on them.... It does seem odd that people would have the kind of problems they're having...what I would've expected is things like BSOD's in Windows or KP's. Not boot loader issues. I'm not so sure it's due to user ignorance.

7. bgd78 macrumors newbie

Remember, if you want to run Windows you don't need Boot Camp, it's just a combined drive partitioner, OSX/XP dual bootloader and "XP on Mac" driver collection. It's the EFI firmware update released together with Boot Camp that enables you to install Windows, Linux and any other BIOS-based operating system on your Intel Mac and the EFI firmware definitely isn't beta...

When people complain, barring a few people that accidentally install XP on their OSX partition, it's always about driver issues. So, you could say that the only thing that is truly beta is the "XP on Mac" driver collection bundled with Boot Camp...

The Boot Camp driver collection lacks drivers for Apple peripherals, light/motion sensors in MBP, iSight web camera and trackpad padding/scrolling. It also includes crippled keyboard and sound drivers which have certain issues. It's an open question whether Apple will develop these drivers, but I guess we should be happy with what we got...

8. collinmac macrumors member

hey guys,

this is the first mac i've ever owned. I bought a 17" imac intel. I have used DOS/Windows based machines my entire life and the reason i bought the mac was for bootcamp. I have always been a fan of the mac operating system, from system 8.1 and on. Here is my experience with bootcamp(coming from a long time windows user)

1. Upgraded my os to 10.4.6 flawless
    2. Upgraded the firmware, yet again easier then i've ever experience on a pc
    3. Downloaded and installed bootcamp, partitioned hard drive 30gb NTFS Partition.
    4. Rebooted the machine with my windows xp cd in the drive. It booted right away.
    5. Windows XP installation worked the exact way that it would if it were installed on a PC.
    6. Loaded the imac drivers, yet again flawless.
    7. Installed Far Cry, Age of Empires III, and of course firefox.
    8. Far Cry and Age of Empires run better than my Windows based desktop which is an Opteron 148, 1gb RAM, Geforce 6800GT.

I have only had one error with bootcamp which was when i tried to use isight. Other than that it has been a very painless experience. I was glad i mad the decision to buy a mac, and as they say once you go mac, you never go back.

Consider me a mac user for life now. And yes I will buy native mac games if they are out.

9. macaddicted macrumors regular

macaddicted

I'm actually relatively happy with bootcamp. I am currently starting a business and unfortunately thus far all the business related software my partners have chosen are PC specific. Having bootcamp on my iMac at home means I can work in the evenings without having to use Remote Desktop or, even worse, buy another PC box.

We are picking up some new specialty equipment on Monday that is run by PC based software. It requires a USB dongle so I am curious to see if it will work on my iMac.

10. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

No, it's not a failure, it's a beta. You people are all so picky now. It's a whole new OS on different hardware with test-quality drivers. Give them a chance to make it work.

11. iShane macrumors 6502a

I don't know, because I don't have an Intel Mac but based on the pictures and stuff I think it seems pretty cool that Apple would do that. I actually think that it'll boost Apple's popularity but we'll see what happens. But besides all that its only a beta too.