Is Bush Drinking Again?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 3rdpath, Sep 21, 2005.

1. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    national enquirer

BUSH'S BOOZE CRISIS

By JENNIFER LUCE and DON GENTILE

Faced with the biggest crisis of his political life, President Bush has hit the bottle again, The National Enquirer can reveal.

Bush, who said he quit drinking the morning after his 40th birthday, has started boozing amid the Katrina catastrophe.

Family sources have told how the 59-year-old president was caught by First Lady Laura downing a shot of booze at their family ranch in Crawford, Texas, when he learned of the hurricane disaster.

His worried wife yelled at him: "Stop, George."

Following the shocking incident, disclosed here for the first time, Laura privately warned her husband against "falling off the wagon" and vowed to travel with him more often so that she can keep an eye on Dubya, the sources add.

"When the levees broke in New Orleans, it apparently made him reach for a shot," said one insider. "He poured himself a Texas-sized shot of straight whiskey and tossed it back. The First Lady was shocked and shouted: "Stop George!"

"Laura gave him an ultimatum before, 'It's Jim Beam or me.' She doesn't want to replay that nightmare — especially now when it's such tough going for her husband."

Bush is under the worst pressure of his two terms in office and his popularity is near an all-time low. The handling of the Katrina crisis and troop losses in Iraq have fueled public discontent and pushed Bush back to drink.

A Washington source said: "The sad fact is that he has been sneaking drinks for weeks now. Laura may have only just caught him — but the word is his drinking has been going on for a while in the capital. He's been in a pressure cooker for months.

"The war in Iraq, the loss of American lives, has deeply affected him. He takes every soldier's life personally. It has left him emotionally drained.

The result is he's taking drinks here and there, likely in private, to cope. "And now with the worst domestic crisis in his administration over Katrina, you pray his drinking doesn't go out of control."

Another source said: "I'm only surprised to hear that he hadn't taken a shot sooner. Before Katrina, he was at his wit's end. I've known him for years. He's been a good ol' Texas boy forever. George had a drinking problem for years that most professionals would say needed therapy. He doesn't believe in it [therapy], he never got it. He drank his way through his youth, through college and well into his thirties. Everyone's drinking around him."

Another source said: "A family member told me they fear George is 'falling apart.' The First Lady has been assigned the job of gatekeeper." Bush's history of drinking dates back to his youth. Speaking of his time as a young man in the National Guard, he has said: "One thing I remember, and I'm most proud of, is my drinking and partying. Those were the days my friends. Those were the good old days!"

Age 26 in 1972, he reportedly rounded off a night's boozing with his 16-year-old brother Marvin by challenging his father to a fight.

On November 1, 2000, on the eve of his first presidential election, Bush acknowledged that in 1976 he was arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol near his parents' home in Maine. Age 30 at the time, Bush pleaded guilty and paid a $150 fine. His driving privileges were temporarily suspended in Maine.

"I'm not proud of that," he said. "I made some mistakes. I occasionally drank too much, and I did that night. I learned my lesson." In another interview around that time, he said: "Well, I don't think I had an addiction. You know it's hard for me to say. I've had friends who were, you know, very addicted... and they required hitting bottom (to start) going to AA. I don't think that was my case."

During his 2000 presidential campaign, there were also persistent questions about past cocaine use. Eventually Bush denied using cocaine after 1992, then quickly extended the cocaine-free period back to 1974, when he was 28.

Dr. Justin Frank, a Washington D.C. psychiatrist and author of Bush On The Couch: Inside The Mind Of The President, told The National Enquirer: "I do think that Bush is drinking again. Alcoholics who are not in any program, like the President, have a hard time when stress gets to be great.

"I think it's a concern that Bush disappears during times of stress. He spends so much time on his ranch. It's very frightening."

Published on: 09/21/2005

i know, i know, consider the source... i figure they're pretty darn sure of the charges considering he has the best legal team in the world. ntm, the IRS, FBI and the SS at his beck and call.

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i'm skeptical.

3. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Sympathy piece + National Enquirer.

The owner of the National Enquirer is also the person buying up all of the bad press about Governor Ahnold.

4. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

If his truly is, I think that we would have already withdrawn. Regardless, I hope that he feels personally responsible. In some ways, I hold him personally responsible for each casualty, and it would be wonderful to hear that my thoughts are being taken to heart.

5. 3rdpath thread starter macrumors 68000

3rdpath

"sneaking drinks", "falling Apart", "pray his drinking doesn't go out of control"...it doesn't read like a sympathy piece to me.

6. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

He cares so much that he is drinking again. He mourns the loss of every soldier, he is already mourning the loss of lives to come. What a good guy.

On the flipside, he will not admit the mess that Iraq has become, and feels the need to forge ahead. He acted deplorably when Katrina hit and has done some serious damage control since, but has not vowed to fix FEMA or to devote resources prevent future situations that have a possibility of occurring.

I read it as being a sympathy piece. That's just me.

7. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Yer kidding right? Do you know how hard it is for a public figure to win a libel suite?

Tabloids make their money running BS stories about public figures and get away w/it because suing them is largely cost prohibitive. And we're talking about "cost prohibitive" to celebs worth 10's, if not 100's, of millions of dollars.

I can't believe the National Enquirer is being serious cited by anyone...

Lethal

8. 3rdpath thread starter macrumors 68000

3rdpath

wow, slow down there tiger.

i wrote "consider the source" in the original post...i thought that might convey a bit of my skepticism...or not. considering the legal community seems to be leaning anti-tabloid these days, for those who chose to pursue a case, i stated that the enquirer must feel pretty safe in their allegations.

as for those who have won libel cases against the tabloids-cameron diaz, carol burnett, kate moss, and justin timberlake come to mind.

9. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

it did.

the thing is, they may be right. i just don't think they actually have those sources.

one of my friends has maintained for years that bush behaves like a dry drunk. if true, it really doesn't matter too much if bush is drinking or not, i guess.

i have maintained for years (as has p'brit, iirc) that bush is a sociopath.

from this wiki page on antisocial personality disorder:

10. highres macrumors 6502a

highres

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Probably, but he probably got hooked on caffeine instead.

12. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Yes. His inability to emote is often confused for his being a bad public speaker.

Which he is, but it's not simply because he has a tenuous grasp of the English language; he lacks the ability to experience or express human emotions.

13. katchow macrumors 6502

from the folks that brought you:

"Woman Disappears Behind Coral Head, Later Gives Birth to 10 Pound Octobaby"

and

"2000 year old mummy wakes up-- and bites scientist"

:eek:

14. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Didn't the National Inquirer have the Clinton/Lewinsky scandal on it's cover before most others?

15. 3rdpath thread starter macrumors 68000

3rdpath

i believe so. they also broke stories on the oj simpson trial. i think while the enquirer has tried to move somewhat beyond "two headed baby" tabloid fodder, the mainstream media has become much more tabloid like. the enquirer makes no bones about paying for information-something the mainstream media doesn't do( at least on record)....and payola always gets the story.

16. wrxguy macrumors 6502a

wrxguy

he ever stoped? wow...with how he as acted i thoght he was still hittin the bottle and the Yae

17. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

im one to slam bush on ISSUES like anyone else, but this is the stuff i just can't stand, no matter who is getting smeared. It MAY be true, but until it is proven, don't go around believing things from tabloids. Remember "Batboy Escapes From Mental Asylum"...

18. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

The Enquirer doesn't run those types of stories. You're thinking of Weekly World News.

19. tristan macrumors 6502a

Strange... Bush's presidency made *me* start drinking. :)

20. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

photo evidence?

Attached Files:

21. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

My bad. I've been rather on edge lately.

The NE and the WWW are owned by the same company, FYI.

Lethal

22. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

for about two seconds i'd thought FYI was the name of the owning company and i was trying to figure out what it stood for. doh.

23. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

For Your Infotainment. :D

Lethal

24. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

Here's a link to a very interesting op/ed about Bush's drinking
    Dangers of a Drunk Dubya
    By DOUG THOMPSON
    Sep 23, 2005, 08:39
    Email this article
    Printer friendly page

According to the National Enquirer, President George W. Bush, an alcoholic, is drinking again.

In normal times, such a story in a tabloid like the Enquirer would be dismissed as just another fantasy for the newspaper that normally devotes its front page to gossip about celebrity divorces. But an America with Bush as President is anything but normal and too many warning signs point to the sad fact that Dubya the drunk is back on the bottle. Plus we reported the same thing in a story about Bush’s temper tirades on August 25. (more)

http://www.capitolhillblue.com/artman/publish/article_7430.shtml

25. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I was listening to Majority Report last night (Air America has finally made it to Texas) and Sam Seder made an excellent point about if Bush were drinking again.

Could he really do anything much worse than he already has?