Is Bush going senile?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by wordmunger, Oct 13, 2004.

1. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Check out this comparison of Bush's speaking skills in 1994 vs. today:

Comparison movie

Mirror

The film cites an Atlantic Monthly article (which I've read) suggesting that the only possible cause for the rapid deterioration in his speaking ability is senile dementia.

Combine this with the fact that the president skipped his annual physical this year and you've got the makings of a genuine controversy.

Are we really on the verge of re-electing a president who is on the verge of senility?

2. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

1 word:

Reagan. :eek:

3. katchow macrumors 6502

wow, another skipped physical.

4. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Can you blame a guy with a hangover for not wanting some old dude with cold hands and colder instruments to be poking and prodding him all morning?

Come on now.... It's hard enough work being President without having to be accountable for a little thing like physical condition.... :rolleyes:

5. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

The Google Ads are great. All about cures for dementia! :D :eek: :rolleyes:

6. wordmunger thread starter macrumors 603

wordmunger

Actually, I'd say Reagan's condition wasn't as bad at the end of his second term as Bush's seems to be at the end of his *first*. And we know how quickly Reagan went downhill.

7. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i don't think that video proves senility or any other kind of neurological problem. some things which could factor into the differences shown in the video:
    1. exhaustion
    2. fear of misspeaking (stakes are higher)
    3. being himself (then) vs. being handled (now)
    3b. maybe he is being prompted now?
    4. preparation overload (too much to keep in mind at once)

i think he's simply in over his head.

8. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

I've heard more of the conspiracy theories involving his past drug and alcohol use than of senility. There is evidence to suggest that longtime substance abuse can change the wiring of one's brain in permanent ways that may or may not be obvious to others. This isn't that far-fetched, but it's irresponsible to ascribe any of them to Bush without any proof.

On a related note, did anyone see the article on Salon.com about Kentucky Sen. Jim Bunning's strange recent behavior? People there are beginning to wonder about his health and it's affecting his re-election campaign in what was thought to be a safe seat.

9. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Actually being a family member that had to deal with Atzhiemrs (sp?) I feel that many of the "gaffs" were covered up. Saw the same protection of my Uncle by the Diocese until there was no hiding it.

To be honest I am not as clear as I was 10 years ago. But time, money woes, and other "stress" factors; have weighed in on me.

Also for Bush the Texas debate was for his first run for office. He probably had nothing to really lose. Now every word or action is weighed by the world. I am going through the same thing at work when I was questioned about how I handled a meeting recently. I am no less sure of myself because of the comments.

It does call into question whether the news of a learning disability is real or not. I may not vote for Bush in 2004 (actually will not at this point), but I do believe that there are two sides to a story.

I wish this video could be used as an ad by Kerry though. It does show that Bush is not up to snuff IMO (despite what I said above). We need someone that is clearer for the next four years.

10. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Not a conspiracy. He has used drugs and alcohol in the past, and I think it has rotted his brain. I'm told he used to be pretty smart. We're told now, it is his down home charm. I'm thinking he just lost one to many brain cells.

Not neccessarily stupid, just out of it.