Is Bush wired for sound??

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by diamond geezer, Oct 5, 2004.

1. diamond geezer macrumors regular

Check out the website to see the photo which may show Bush wired up for sound.

link

2. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Dude I HIGHLY doubt it. Do you know how fast someone would have pounced on that. Someone would have noticed. If nothing else Kerry would have noticed and spun it into his debate somehow. It would have been a political nightmare for him.

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Maybe I missed something, but I thought posting stuff like this was frowned upon. The supporting "evidence" is so far-fetched it's not even funny and the "source" of the piece seems to be from a posting at another fourm.

1. The bulge is probably caused by his bullet proof vest.
    2. The part of an IFB that goes into your ear is obvious, and keeping the wire that's coming out from under your shirt collar from yelling "hey, look at me" is all but impossible (unless you have long hair and wear it down covering your ears and neck).
    3. The wire going between the receiver/battery pack and the in-ear speaker is the same size as a typical headphone wire. It wouldn't cause the huge "bump" that appears across Bush's right shoulder blade. A similar bump also appears across Bush's other shoulder blade. It’s almost as if he has some sort of thick, heavy vest on underneath his suite... Also, the receiver/battery pack is about the size of a deck of cards (if not smaller). Aside from the white headphones in their ears how obvious would it be if someone was listening to an iPod tucked away inside their business suit?
    4. Even if Bush was "wired-for-sound" (which means you wire to transmit, not receive) why would they use something as clunky and obvious as an IFB? Why not some super-nifty gadget that is completely self-contained and fits inside your ear? I'm more inclined to believe that some gadget at home in the sci-fi world was used than what this guy is peddling. The simple fact that this guy tries to pass off an IFB as some covert tool that requires a massive battery pack and fat cable to feed an "almost invisibly small" in-ear piece is enough, by itself, to warrant using the "roll eyes" smilie.

So Bush's pedestrian public speaking ability, first attributed to stupidity, now, apparently, showcases all the "telltale" signs of someone being fed dialogue covertly? C'mon...

Lethal

4. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I think the site is junk.

So thankfully, we can still safely attribute his ineptitude to stupidity. ;)

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i'm fairly skeptical of this earpiece thing, especially based on the evidence, but for those who watched the first debate (i was not able), i do have this to ask...

i'd read on a lefty site (can't remember where) about someone wondering about an earpiece. his reasoning went like this: in the middle of a bush response, with no prompting from mr lehrer or anyone else audible, and apparently with no prodding from the light timers, bush stopped in the middle of a sentence, uttered "let me finish", and kept going.

1. did anyone notice it?
    2. what did you make of it?
    3. does it at all lend any support to the claims that he had an earpiece?

6. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

what if he was conversing with his second personality?

wait, that just doesn't make sense. off to bed I GO!

7. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I had assumed Jim was making a gesture indicating a desire to interrupt.

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

that sounds reasonable. if we had access to all angles of video, we could probably suss out if that was it.

9. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Me too. There were a couple of times when Bush "jumped the gun" in regards to Jim's moderation of the debate.

Lethal

10. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

To borrow a line from SiliconAddict: Never suspect conspiracy if incompetence could achieve the same result. I read this on a conspiracy web site. I wondered at first, but if I remember correctly, Bush was really defensive at this point. All Jim had to do was swivel slighty toward Kerry or raise his hand a bit to get Bush to go off. I was thinking about this before the debate, what if he used an earpiece? That would really be an embarassment.

The sites are probably just trying to make him look stupid though. Not that it's really that hard to do so. :p

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well apparently there was a rumor started by a right-wing type that Kerry was cheating by bringing notes to the debate, and I think this was a left-wing response to those unsubstantiated rumors with unsubstantiated rumors of their own. Not exactly classy, but both sides are rolling out the dirty tricks at this stage in the game.

12. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

what's wrong w/ bringing notes, anyway? this should be a debate on ideas supported by readily-available stats and facts, not a test to see who can memorize the most.

my high school physics teacher had what i thought was an interesting technique. we could bring notes to a test, but they had to be written on a 1" x 1" piece of paper. what was funny was, by the time i figured out which formulas i wanted to write down, and actually did fit them all on the paper, i had memorized them anyway. :)

13. icone macrumors newbie

Is Bush wired for Sound??

George Bush wearing a wire during the debated is an absolute outrage, totally against all the set rules, and if true, adds to the widespread speculation of some very underhanded political moves by the Republican party (remember Florida?). It also doesn't help Bush's credibility.

First, I don't necessarily think wearing an earpiece is so bad in most instances... but to wear one during a debate and be coached with answers is a really offensive idea to most people.

The President is obviously not the best public speaker, and allegedly suffers from a light dyslexia and doesn't do well with a teleprompter... so what if he wears an earpiece! He supposedly wore one during the last State of the Union. He wore one when speaking in France last June, in fact, you can actually hear the coaching over the microphone, the video can be found on the White House web site!!! http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2004/06/20040605-6.html

Time will tell... AUDIOGATE... if true, I hope Bush goes down in flames!

14. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Well, it's now being conjectured on the BBC (Radio FiveLive Sun 9:30am ) as being probable, if not fact.

With additional comments about media organisations apparently being forbidden to shoot footage/stills from behind the candidates.

There then followed a jokey discussion about tailoring...

15. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I am disheartened, because unless this turns out to be true, it's just another unfounded and baseless smear campaign that uglies up the political scene.

On the other hand, the partisan part of me thinks it's fantastic if the "liberal media" finally find enough of their ****ing the balls to give a little of the "vast rightwing conspiracy" type stuff (i.e. lies, Goddamned lies, total fabrications, false rumour mill crap being reported in the mainstream press) to the other party.

16. Sabbath macrumors 6502a

Sabbath

I was just wondering if this had been reported in the US at all. I've know of the idea which has been going around for a while, but I thought people would expect someone who isn't a good public speaker to use a wire in certain cases. Similarly I could imagine he may use it to gain advice if there is some "breaking news" to avoid criticism similar to that where he sat in the school during the 9/11 attacks. Obviously using a wire during a debate is a significant issue, is it not? I would presume it would be to the majority of the American population. I don't put much faith in these kinds of stories, I'm just interested in peoples opinions. This story was reported in the Guardian (newspaper) yesterday and now on the bbc website today (and according to Blue Velvet on the radio too). So has this been reported in the US mainstream media at all?

17. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I do not know enough to comment on the validity of the charge.

I do know, that with or without said wire, Bush got his ass handed to him by Kerry.

18. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I can imagine the evil Dick Cheney talking to George telling him what to say in the debate, Haliburton is good,we did the right thing,WMDs and Haliburton is good............

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I think it was God's voice telling him what to say. As to why God would need a transmitter, rather than just whispering in his ear like he usually does, I couldn't say.

20. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

the story has been picked up by most media sources, although they mostly refer to the WH official dismissal of the story as "ridiculous".
    It looks something was there, but I find hard to believe he was feeded lines: too risky if it came out. some suggest it's some sort of medical/security device. if it is so, the WH should come out clean on that before it balloons out of proportions.

what if someone hacks into the receiver and feeds him the wrong lines? that would make for an interesting debate...

21. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

From the photos, it sure does look like something's there. But why, I ask, if Bush was wired, would he wear the thing between his shoulder blades? Makes no sense.

22. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

I actually recall hearing this right after 9/11 happened. It was some speech on WB, and you could hear everything that Bush was going to say right before he actually said it.

23. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Looks suspicious

We may not know for sure, for a long long time, but it does look like something is there. It wouldn't surprise me, Karl Rove has a reputation for using underhanded methods. Pure speculation for now though.

24. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    somethings there but i don't think its a receiver. i don't think even rove/bush would try to swing that. honestly, it's probably a girdle to help the pres stand taller next to kerry...bush is a sloucher( in every sense).

btw, i couldn't hear any prompting on the video of bush w/ chirac but it was so obvious he was being fed his lines. i've always felt bush sounded like he had no idea what he was saying...that he was merely reciting a script. it all became perfectly clear with the video...the whole 4 or 5 word "packet" manner of speech. bush acts like he's reading notes and just parrots the audio feed.

what a sad sad figurehead for our country.

25. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Those puppet strings have to be attached somewhere...