Is buying a single proc. pm a waste?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jer446, May 3, 2005.

1. jer446 macrumors 6502a

I need a new computer.. my budget is about 1900 and i need a monitor.I get an edu discount.. Im so undecided on what i want... I do light video editing, light photo work, and a lot of internet broswing. I want the computer to last at least 2-3 years. Im not sure if i should get a powerbook with external monitor and bt, not a mac mini because its not worth it if i need a monitor. Then my dad doesnt want me to get an iMac because he is old fashioned and he says if the monitor breaks, im out of a computer lol. Then i could get the powermac. The only powermac really that is in my budget is the single. Then i would buy ram myself, like a gig, and buy the 20 inch widescreen. But is buying only a single processor powermac a waste? Will it still last me as long? any advice is appreciated/

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

You could always use the video out to run your iMac with an external monitor, but I seriously doubt your screen will break.

The 20" iMac is a no-brainer, compared to a single-proc PM. No-brainer. Period.

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

A 20" iMac, upgraded to 1GB - even at Apple's prices - is $1811 (edu price). A similarly configured single-proc PM (same RAM, disk, Airport, BT) is $1802. I think the 20" monitor is worth the $9 premium.

Edit: and, as far as your dad's fears are concerned: you're out that $9 if the screen breaks. On the other hand, the iMac weighs almost literally half what the PM (without the monitor) weighs and takes up no more desk space than a monitor. Yes, technically, the PM is more expandable. But you wouldn't be expanding it in any meaningful way probably anyway past the ways you could expand the iMac.

4. brandon6684 Guest

The 1.8GHz single processor PowerMac is basically left overs and behind the iMac specs. Definitely go with the iMac.

5. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

I agree. Yes it's a waste. And it's slower than the equivalent price of an iMac, which includes a screen. I'd either go for a dual G5 PM or a iMac G5. The old PM isn't that great. The dual will help you a lot for video compression, but if your video work is really light, then just go for the iMac.

6. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

Lol, that's true. You aren't going to find a 20 inch monitor for $9, well at least not at the stores I shop at. :D

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

It's not leftovers, it's an iMac G5 in a PM case -- though it should really be updated.

All depends on which you need more, the LCD or the expandibility.

Some people will need more memory, a PCI slot, or a the ability to run a couple drive internally more than they need the LCD screen.

Heck some people may need everything the iMac has, but a better GPU.

8. brandon6684 Guest

What I mean by left over is that it hasn't been touched my the last round of updates, which is why it still has 256MB or RAM and a 64MB video card standard.

9. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

The only things I can think of that could justify buying a PM 1.8 GHz is that you absolutely need either a PCI-X slot, optical audio in or 4GB of RAM.

10. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

nah, it's not a waste

Yes, the new iMacs are going to give you better specs for less money but the single proc PM G5 will easily give you the 2 to 3 years you want out of it. It's offered as an option for people who are convinced that an all-in-one is a bad idea for whatever reason. Your dad isnt the only one with that idea......having had an iMac for 5 years I don't agree, but hey, if he thinks you should pay a little more for a little less, well, it's his money.

Anyway, if you buy applecare for an iMac you'll be protected for 3 years against the monitor dying and leaving you without a computer.

11. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

My two and a half year old iMac still works fine for most uses, and its graphics card wasn't as (relative to the time of purchase) powerful as the 9600 is by today's standards.

The newest iMacs - esp. the 2.0GHz ones - will be useful as long as the single-proc PMs, which are now a waste of cash (if you need 4GB RAM, etc., you're probably not going to be happy with a 1.8GHz PM) . They're also giant beasts. I own a Rev. A dual-2.0, and it's nearly impossible to move around without hurting yourself and/or the case.

12. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Single has PCI, not PCI-X.

Get the iMac. The $20 adapter works great to put the video out to an external monitor. I too wanted the Single G5 PowerMac, but with no update and not even a price drop, it's not worth it unless you need those extras. Or, like, 2 internal drives. Even then, it'd be better to just use external firewire drives.

13. iBunny macrumors 65816

The New 20 inch iMacs are Pure Sex :)

I wish I could get one, but by the time I am off deployment, something new will be surfacing. So I am going to wait until Dual Core in an iMac before I get one. However long that might be.

14. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Sad how the current SP 1.8 is more crippled than my almost two year old Rev. A SP 1.8.

I think Apple is really messing up their Powermac line, between crippling some, and confusing consumers on what the differences are. I mean, there are two models of the SP 1.8, a DP 1.8, a crippled DP 2.0 model, a DP normal 2.0 model... jeez.

15. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

iBunny,

Best wishes and God's speed for your safe return.

They should give you any Mac of your choice among many other things
    for your service.

16. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

Have you ever seen Dells stackable coupons?!
    :D

17. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

I don't think the singles are a waste. I had an iMac and hated it. The unit was noisy, Apple customer service jerked me around for a long time, I swapped out two logic boards myself, and the unit sounded like a jet plane. Plus, junk video card, etc, etc.

So I got a PowerMac.

Oooh, I am sooooo happy w/ my PowerMac (SP). This was the machine for me. Now, with that said, I'm selling my unit to upgrade to a dual (wife has me encoding four years of home movies plus I'm in IT) but my PM has been a pleasure to own. I've also had a friend come by who owns the new 20" iMac (I converted him!) and he remarked how snappy my SP 1.8 was. My PM was a much faster machine in his eyes.

Don't underestimate the ability to upgrade the PM. My PM plays WoW silky smooth, with most options turned up.

More on my sale here.