Is buying an Apple TV worth it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TaylorMatsu, Dec 8, 2012.

1. macrumors member

Nov 8, 2012
    Title says it all

How do those who have an Apple TV like their device?

What do you use it for the most?
  2. macrumors 68020

Aug 13, 2011
    It absolutely is. I recently sold mine because money was tight, but immediately it was useful for Netflix and streaming my iTunes library to my TV. It works much better than my PS3 did for that purpose and it was well worth the money.

If you have an iPad or iPhone and want to share something you're playing on that device that isn't on the ATV(ABC,NBC,CBS...things like that) then you can and then you can watch TV shows without really needing to have basic cable.
  3. macrumors 68000

Dec 30, 2001
    The SimCity Deli
    Watching baseball on, and the occasional rented movie on iTunes (if I like the movie enough I'll buy the BluRay version).
  4. macrumors newbie

Jun 16, 2011
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Absolutely. I love mine, and use it daily. It's great for showing sideshows to the rents, too.
  5. Guest

Oct 19, 2012
    If anybody's in the mood, I would appreciate an intro to Apple TV. I don't quite get it yet.

I assume you connect net to AppleTV, and then AppleTV to the TV. Then what happens?

Just last night I got my laptop connected to our new TV. How is this different than AppleTV?

Any basic newbie intro to AppleTV will be appreciated here, thanks.
  6. macrumors member

Jan 12, 2011
    Detroit, MI
    I have two ATV3's and would not be without them, absolutely love them. I wish there was a work around for NAS connectivity. I had ATV Flash on my ATV1's and miss being able to connect my ATV3 to my NAS. I just finished updating all the meta data on my movies & TV shows using iDentify and highly recommend it.
  7. thread starter macrumors member

Nov 8, 2012
    Still requires the subscription to that service, right? ;)