Is BuyMusic.com distributing CDs illegally?

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Jul 28, 2003.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors 604

iJon

wow sucks for them. they are getting hammered lately, no one likes them anyomre. and just to think he spend 40 million on advertising.

iJon

3. macrumors 6502

It looks like the aircraft is out of control already, altitude 5,000 feet.

Off-topic: Does anyone know Steve Jobs' Email address?

4. macrumors 65816

plinkoman

ahhhh, more good news

5. macrumors 603

solvs

Well, I guess you beat me to it again Arn...

I just saw this awhile ago, and was about to post it. How do you do it? Don't you sleep?

Now we see why they can claim that they have so many songs. They buy a couple from unscrupulous resallers, then list songs they don't have as "currently unavailable". The rest are probably just crap and dead people. (please remove Buy.com from the links shop, even if they paid you)

I feel bad for these artists. If they're any good, maybe I'll support them with some legal sales. As long as I know that at least some of the $ is going to them.

No wonder indies like the iTunes Store. They should run away from BuyMusic.com, et al, as fast as possible. Run fast.

Faster.

It just keeps getting worse.

-

New Sig? Buymusic.com, doomed to failure.

6. macrumors 6502

Tsk, tsk, no need to be a sore winner. Especially when most of us knew that buymusic.com was no big deal. Roughly 50% Voted it as a 2 or a 1 out of 5...

Besides, you know, we all wish that Microsuck would go out of business, but if you think about it, that would result in the loss of hundreds of thousands of jobs! Our economy (United States, though other economies would be affected too, like those manufacturing chips which sell in PeeCees) would need some serious adjustment. I mean, all the M$ employees (yes, i know, they aren't really human once they get a job there, but work with me) would lose their job - i dunno how many that is, to be honest, but i bet a lot. Then there's all the people making chips that primarily sell in computers running windows - Intel, AMD would be reduced to chip makers for Linux - not exactly as viable a market as Windows is.

So, my point is: It's not very nice to cheer when lots of people stand to lose their jobs. (Though I don't htink buy.com employs many people)

7. macrumors 6502a

Jerry Spoon

Re: Well, I guess you beat me to it again Arn...

I'm still looking for sales figures so far for these guys. Have they released any numbers?

8. macrumors 6502

They have sold 2001.4 songs.

:D

9. macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

2001.4? how can you sell 2/5 a song?

10. macrumors 603

solvs

To quote MacSlash:

As if the RIAA really cares about the artists and people who work hard to actually create this music.

BuyMusic.com, doomed to failure.

11. macrumors 603

janey

sjobs@apple.com

12. macrumors member

Of course we all know that bymusic.com has blocked its site from us Mac users, but I managed to get it up on Safari and have it open in a different tab right now. Not that I will do anything with it, but it just goes to show you how shoddy everything is over there...

13. macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Yeah so they might be doing it illegal,

bad for them.