Is camera rattle grounds for exchange

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bclizzle, Nov 8, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

Apr 29, 2009
    Will genius bar swap my phone out if i have the rattle in my iPhone 5? or does it depend on my luck, and I might get someone that will actually open it up and fix it
  2. macrumors 68040

Sep 24, 2010
    If its the same rattle I'm thinking of its been there since the 4S and its to do with the lens.
  3. macrumors 68000

Oct 15, 2008
  4. macrumors G4

Nov 7, 2007
    New Sanfrakota
    No, and you can't swap colors while you're at it either.
  5. macrumors 6502

Feb 2, 2009
    The lenses are supposed to rattle. If you find one where it doesn't, that's the one you want to return.
  6. macrumors 6502a

Oct 25, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    No a genius will not swap out your phone because of the rattle. If you are within 30 days and you get a genius who either wants to prove to you that it's normal or that is really nice he'll exchange it out but you will find that it's completely normal. This is an "issue" you don't want fixed. Part of the reason the camera on the iPhone is so good is because of the rattle.
  7. macrumors 65816

Mar 8, 2012
    they will never open it and fix it since thats not Apples policy.

I got mine replaced for that rattling. It'll take 2 months until they have it in stock but I'll get it in time. And yes, she accepted it. She heard the noise.

But , there is different noises so I don't know. Mine was the rattling that stops when you hold down the power button.
  8. macrumors newbie

Nov 7, 2012
    Can you guys elaborate on the theory that an iPhone 5 that *doesn't* rattle is the problem?

I had a 5 that rattled and since I was within the 14 day window of my carrier I had it swapped out for a sealed 5 and this new one doesn't rattle at all.

If phones are supposed to rattle why do some of them not?

Also, if I call Apple and say "hello? My phone's not rattling!" will they tell me it's a problem and it should be replaced?
  9. macrumors 68030

Oct 3, 2012
    New Jersey
    my original 5 didn't rattle or it wasn't noticeable at all. The one I have now does rattle :/
  10. macrumors 6502a

Oct 25, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    It depends on when it rattles. If you shake the crap out of your phone and it rattles it is most likely the camera. However, if you are playing angry birds or some other app and it's rattling that's a problem.
  11. macrumors 6502a

Mar 1, 2008
    Rockland/Manhattan/Bay Area
    if you tap the area where the camera is housed, you will here some rattling.. not grounds for a swap as other people already mentioned
  12. macrumors 603

Apr 6, 2007
    The iPhone 4S and 5 have multiple lenses that are movable elements. This mobility of those lenses is necessary so that the camera can move them into focus depending on the picture you're trying to take.

A side effect (but NOT a defect) of that mobility is that, when not in use, the lenses may move within their track and possibly against other components when the phone is shaken or not carefully placed down. When this happens, the lenses may produce a rattling sound.

In theory, a camera that rattles less has lenses that may either be stuck, or not move as easily. This could potentially impact image quality.

It's just a theory. It could well be that the lenses are just at a tighter tolerance in an iPhone that doesn't rattle. But, an iPhone with lens rattle is still not defective.

Depends. Are your photos out of focus?
  13. macrumors 6502a

Oct 25, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    However, if the rattle stops when you hold the power and volume buttons you might be able to get a swap depending on degree of rattle.
  14. thread starter macrumors regular

Apr 29, 2009
    i returned my i4 a few months after it came out. i dropped it (nothing serious) and the camera began to rattle a bit when u would shake the phone... i took it to apple for the hell of it, the guy working exchanged it without even thinking about it. I was out of there in 5 minutes with a new one. I couldnt believe it, but hey why not.

thats why im even asking. i i5 began rattling a couple weeks ago
  15. macrumors 603

Sep 4, 2011
    I remember trying to exchange my 4S for the rattle earlier this year before the 5 was out and the Genius was able to reproduce the noise. He went in the back to check it out and came back telling me my vibrator was messed up (even though it worked fine) and ended up giving me a new 4S (which still rattled).

I'm convinced the rattle isn't an issue, although it's unsettling to hear it / experience it on such a high quality / precisely manufactured device.
  16. macrumors Nehalem

Apr 16, 2008
    At the iPhone hacks section.
    Way too much time on your hands to worry about non issues like that.
    Wish that was my only worry and had all the time to keep going to Apple for replacements like that every week.
    And then keep exchanging one after another replacement for other fictional issues and so on.
    Vicious cycle....
  17. macrumors 604

Jul 10, 2007
    Um ok.

18. macrumors newbie

Sep 15, 2012
    Mine seriously does not rattle, the only thing that rattles is the power button. My camera lens doesn't rattle at all.
  19. macrumors 6502a

Jan 9, 2012
    Boston, MA
  20. macrumors regular

Aug 31, 2010
    The camera rattle is in all iphone 5's!

It was also in the 4 and 4s

It's normal!
  21. macrumors newbie

Dec 1, 2009
    Hi All,

My iPhone 5 never had a rattle at all, my pics were perfect, not out of focus, blurred or anything like that.

I've been reading on different forums how people have had a rattle from day 1 and that the iPhone 5's they were shown at the Apple store all rattled. I've also heard the excuse that the moving parts in the lens make the rattle and that it's normal.

I've had my iPhone 5 since launch day without any issues whatsoever but now all of a sudden, (started last week) i'm getting a rattle from the area around the camera lens which has gotten more noticeable over the last few days.

Other members of my family have other makes of phone with cameras on them but they don't have a rattle from any "moving" parts in the lens so why does the iPhone?

Ive had the 4 and 4s and neither of those phones had and still don't have any sort of rattle, as far as i'm concerned it's not normal.

Sorry if iv'e hijacked your thread, didn't mean to.

22. macrumors regular

Sep 18, 2012
    Ive had conflicting information from Apple, so i decided to open up my IP5 (water damaged so didnt really matter in the end).

The rattling was actually coming from the VIBRATOR next to the camera port and not infact the camera lens as many think of being the cause. So i shook the phone whilst the case was off and could physically see the the vibrator moving in sync with the rattling noise.

Apple Genius confirmed this so i got a feeling it might be something to do with how tightly screwed in the vibrator actually is, i cant actually tell as the dozen or so ip5's ive checked out ALL rattle.
  23. macrumors 6502a

Sep 13, 2012
    If it only rattles when you shake it, why take a chance of getting another phone with a "real" defect and likely a rattle, still, with the camera lens.

Why are you shaking your iPhone?:rolleyes:
  24. macrumors 603

Sep 4, 2011
    It is normal. It's the 5 lens system doing that.
  25. macrumors 6502a

Oct 25, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    That's real constructive, thanks for furthering the discussion.