Is Chavez' Star Rising?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by xsedrinam, Sep 20, 2006.

1. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Calling for a revamping of the UN, Chavez offers himself to replace the Guatemalan seat, and be the voice of the third world. Do you think Chavez is on the rise or too reckless with his rhetoric to be trusted in this capacity?

Attached Files:

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

3. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

He's definitely seen as a rising star in some aspects. But some still see him as a bit out there. Well, only those who don't like anything remotely left-wing.

And he called Bush a devil! I totally agree with that!

4. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

6. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

He's the only third world personality that seems to be getting any press in the US. He likes the stage and likes making grandiose gestures. He also seems intent on uniting South America which is a good thing IMO. However, his rigid controls on the Venezuelan economy are going to back fire before long so I guess he's a potential rising star. He really doesn't have enough of a track record.

7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Corporate greed has fueled his star rising in my view. Lets face it though we dont care for him that much at least he isnt a prostitute to the Corporations like our Entire Govt in the U.S. so he does have that going for him. Congress & our President are eager to screw America and the middle class at every chance. Just look at the border at a time of war and yet.... The people need a leader for the people its something that missing big time in the States.

8. xsedrinam thread starter macrumors 601

xsedrinam

My wording asked for that, didn't it? :p

Next December 3 comes another election for Venezuela. Seems like the most viable Chavez opponent is Rosales. Chavez' strong suit has been his perceived, sincere desire to reach out to the poor. Though his Bolivarian style of leadership continues to come under criticism, he's an astute politician and manages to dodge bullets and pass the Bolivares to the bad advice coming from those around him, when mistakes are made.

In context, Chavez' posture may influence coming elections in Nicaragua which present the possible resurgence of Ortega & Co. Interesting days.

9. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

what gets me is that there was "applause" after his speech.

i say let the UN re-seat themselves there. let the delegates
    find places to have $3000 dinners (totally expensed) in chavez'
    capital city.

10. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

No.

The Devil was smart, even if evil. ;) Bush is just incompetent.

11. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

:D Maybe the devil was insulted by Chavez?

[​IMG]
    Free publicity for Noam Chomsky? I think Bush is the devil? So buy this book all you Bush-hating lefties! Come to the light, open your mind, expose American imperialism! This book says it's true, so it has to be!

What sucker would believe this?

12. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

How about Chavez is the Venezuelan Dubya?

13. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

Amazon is reporting a huge spike in sales for Noam Chomsky's book soon after the comments Chavez made.

I loved the applaud after he called Bush the devil. It made my week. :D

14. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

So Chavez shoots his mouth off, everyone praises him. If Bush shoots his mouth off...(Do I have to finish the sentence?)

I agree with Chavez. The UN is a waste of time and money. Let's move it elsewhere and we (the US) never be apart of it again.

I'm just getting real sick of this unbridled Bush basing.

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Are you saying that nowhere does anyone praise Bush when he shoots his mouth off? I can point you to places where "Bring 'em on" went over real well...

Also, I can point you to plenty of places where Chavez is criticized heavily any time he opens his mouth.

So either you're being disingenuous, or you're too lazy to go look around outside the MR forum for political thought.

Funny that Chavez and the extreme right wing of the GOP find common ground here...

Hey, if I want to put Bush in a glass pipe and smoke him, that's my business, right Mr. Libertarian? ;)

But seriously, if President Kerry had sucked this bad, would you refrain from bashing him, simply because there was plenty going on already?

16. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

They're be no need for Bush bashing if the president would do his job and not be the puppet of every business in the U.S.A. The man isn't doing a good job for the people and that's who he is there to serve.

Chavez is a little man with a big mouth but it's popular to attack the U.S.A. and he got another 15 minutes of fame.

I know that we need a world government, but the United Nations isn't it. They should be hosted somewhere else--Greenland, perhaps, Antartica, if that doesn't work out. That will clear up traffic in the fast lane of the New Jersey Turnpike with all those Chinese Diplomatic cars going 35 mph.

17. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

the more publicity that Chavez gets, the more it helps Bush and the Republicans with the upcoming election as it simply convinces undecided voters that maybe the USA's security interests are better served by the right

18. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

in your opinion, you mean. or do you have some poll data?

19. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

just read the replies of this post, you can see the so called "patriotic" ppl, yeah, US citizens can blame bush, but other people can't, to some degree, I agree, no matter how bad the president is, he is "one of us", can't be attacked by "outsider", remember dixie chicks?
    In my opinion, you like it or not, the fact is hundreds of thousands of people died because of his decision, if thats not enough, I don't know whatelse do people need to blame him.

20. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Chavez's star isn't rising. He gets publicity because he tells off Bush, but he's not accomplishing much. He's annoying his neighbors and scaring off investors in Venezuela with his rhetoric.

He talks a good game but he won't get anywhere unless he calms down and starts talking to people instead of at them. Kinda reminds me of Bush, actually.

21. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

You shouldnt, this man took us to war over made up missing facts, Has done a heck of job with Katrina and the borders are still open for the most part. He deserves all this bashing since his party runs the whole govt. Please dont ask ,yes I use to be a republican.

22. xsedrinam thread starter macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Perhaps, "star rising" isn't the best metaphor. But his increasing influence in the region cannot be so easily dismissed. He's made "amigasos" with Fidel (Cuba), Morales (Bolivia), received the only standing ovation among invited dignitaries, when in Ecuador, and has convinced many a Venezolano of his intention to address the needs of the poor and marginalized. Venezuela is paying around 12¢ a gallon for gasoline. That does not resemble Mr. Bush.

I'm not coming down on a side for or against him, at the moment, but I do think his popularity among countries where there's anti-U.S. sentiment in Latin America is on the rise.

23. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

And IMHO, the big problem is that Bush feeds this anti-US sentiment because it makes his base happy. This leads to further rhetoric from Chavez that increases HIS standing among the anti-US crowd. And it builds support for an anti-US axis, and it helps these leftist-type candidates get themselves elected by running as "tough on Bush".

More self-fulfilling prophesies all the way around.

24. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

polls do show that "security" is still a issue that a majority of people say will be better handled by Bush and the Republicans

fear and uncertainty are definitely things that have an impact on how people vote

25. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

to then conclude that chavez' comments at the UN will translate to GOP votes goes beyond a s-t-r-e-t-c-h, i don't even see how there's a correlation.

is it because mr chavez is brown?