Is cheese a traded commodity?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iGary, May 4, 2006.

1. iGary Guest

iGary

Why is it every time I order a regular cheese pizza with extra cheese, it had no more than a regular one? Is cheese like 50.00 a pound? Is this just me?

2. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

In my experience as a pizza cook while in high school I can say that, yes, you do get "extra" but its just an extra handfull.

I suggest asking for it on the side so you can apply it yourself and to see how much "extra" you are getting.

3. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

What kind of crust?

I've worked in a few pizza places, this question has merit. :)

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

IIRC, cheese is the #1 cost item in a pizzeria, and yes, it fluctuates with the market price. A swing in the price of cheese hits the bottom line hard for the owners, so you can bet they are stingy with it.

5. emw macrumors G4

emw

Why is it you keep ordering extra cheese? :D

I don't think they have little containers that are "Normal" cheese pizzas and larger containers that have "Extra" cheese. It's just a matter of the cook grabbing what he thinks is more cheese.

6. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

At PizzaHut there are different sizes for medium and large cheese cups and when you order extra cheese on a medium you get the large cup and when you order extra on a large you get the large and medium cup. At least thats how my old store did it.

The owners/managers yes. The high school employees, who actually make the pizza, couldn't give a… ;)

7. emw macrumors G4

emw

I suppose it makes sense that in many "corporate" pizza places it's more controlled than your neighborhood pizzeria. From what I can tell from the local joint I go to on occasion, they just grab a couple of handfuls and spread it around.

8. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Regular crust (not this or pan).

9. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

There is this pizza place near my school called the Pie Pizzeria. They make sure they aren't stingy with the cheese. They also have what they call Cheese Pull-A-Parts which are pretty much two pizza crusts sandwiching a 1/4 inch layer of cheese....mmmmmmm......cheese.

10. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

i think i've eaten more cheese in the last month than most do in a year.

i was milk protein intolerant, but it seems to have worn off, just like it did with my sister.

as for cheese it's the most stolen item from convenient stores, it's not as guarded as the booze but it'll feed a hobo for a couple of days, it's like solid fat.

11. Lau Guest

Yeah, my corner shop keeps the cheese, bacon and sausages behind the counter. :eek: Mmm, cheese, bacon and sausages.....

12. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

Some of the places that use fresh mozzarella are pretty stingy. The cheese is still in ball form as its baked, so you get globs of cheese when the pizza is done.

Pizza is pretty insane here in Connecticut. Sally's and Pepe's are state icons, and the lines are usually 1-2 hours to get in the door! Then another half hour to hour to actually get your order. They both use brick ovens to cook their pies. Personally, I prefer a small Greek pizzeria on the Yale campus. Their pizza is highly underrated, a distinctive flavour that is fantastic, even just with cheese.

Oh yeah, you actually need to specify "with cheese" when you order, as some places sell pies cheeseless.

13. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I'm one of those weirdos who don't like much cheese on my pizza. I don't like how greasy cheap mozzarella gets when melted.

Just a few fine slices of good mozzarella that get those little round toasted circles of brown on them. What I never seem to get enough of on a pizza is the tomato ragu base. Some people seem to scrape just enough on that the dough turns slightly orange and then take it off.

Oh... and very thin crust that only takes a minute or two to cook in a very hot woodfired oven :D

14. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

On the other thing is Chicago-style pizza.

I don't think I used the restroom for a week after that meal. :eek:

It was a 5-pound hunk of cooked cheese with some bread.

15. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Apparently it is traded on the NASDAQ-

Attached Files:

16. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

I agree. There's never enough sauce. I've been known to order sauce on the side just to dunk slices or "pizza bones" into.

17. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

n-abounds

Hmm, well I hate cheese. So you can have mine. ;) But I like my pizza cooked with cheese on top- otherwise the sauce gets burnt.

18. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Oh, thats no gouda. :(

:D

19. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

:D

20. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Nothing I like better than a Caerphilly-worded pun... :p

21. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

22. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

Mmm... the Pie pizza. I don't think I ever ordered a pizza from there that had too little cheese. They most certainly are generous with their toppings without having to ask for extra. I can't even imagine what an extra cheese pizza would be like from them. :eek:

My old co-worker used to say that food was just another way of getting cheese into her mouth. I couldn't agree more with that statement. :D

23. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

C'mon guys, you dont want to get me sarted......:D

24. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

You guys with your cheese puns are all just a bunch of Muensters! :rolleyes:

25. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

ummmmm...pizza!!....extra cheese with green peppers and pineapple...yummy!

Bless