is chimera all that great?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by howard, Dec 2, 2002.

1. macrumors 68020

howard

at first i downloaded it and its served me well...for like 3 days..now it has crashed twice in the last hour! Is it usually like that??

2. macrumors 6502a

chmorley

Re: is chimera all that great?

It's a beta, so it will crash sporadically. Mine probably crashes about once every other day--much less than IE, but more than Mozilla.

I also keep up with the nightlies. This can help eliminate some crashes, but bring up new ones. My experience in the past month has been that the nightlies are getting more stable. Your mileage may vary.

Chris

3. thread starter macrumors 68020

howard

4. macrumors 65816

I've had no problems with Chimera 0.6 on 10.2.

5. macrumors 6502a

DreaminDirector

good browser...

I just downloaded Chimera 0.6 last night and I like it alot. I dont love it yet, but there are alot of features that blow IE out of the water. The tabs feature is pretty cool and the pop-up killer is a welcome option. I however can't wait to see a final version of Chimera. When that happens, it's goodbye IE forever!

Also, since we're on the subject, what is the deal with the flash conflict? I've been to a few flash sites and Chimera has functioned well. Has anyone else had problems?

6. macrumors 6502a

chmorley

Nightlies?

Nightly builds. As a work in progress, bugs are fixed and features added daily. You can track daily changes here. As these things are worked out, new builds are realeased each night. You can get them from the nightly directory. Of course, as features are added, new bugs sometimes can come up, but I haven't had a problem in a while. If you want to keep up with nightlies, ChimeraKnight can help make it easy. It also makes it easy to move back to the previous nightly if you find the newest one not to your liking.

The Flash problem seems largely to have gone away for those who have kept up with the Flash releases. There was a conflict with an earlier version that was causing problems (and Chimera wasn't really implementing it very quickly). Shouldn't be a problem anymore, though.

Chris

7. macrumors member

Re: is chimera all that great?

0.5 was stable, but 0.6 has been much worse for me, crashing at least once a day. I went back to Mozilla 1.2.1, which seems more reliable. Once they get the bugs worked out, Chimera will be awesome.

8. macrumors 65816

Taft

Its all that AND a bag of potatoe chips.

I have learned to avoid some situations if at all possible. Things like viewing multimedia content (movies mostly; .mov, .avi, etc) right in a page will bring Chimera down every once in a while. I just try to download to disk when possible.

Java and Flash have been very stable for me. Grab the latest versions of both. I recommend using the Beta versions of Flash that are out there right now. They are really stable and a lot faster and better implemented.

Taft

9. macrumors 6502

I had some multimedia problems in .5 but .6 is great, it doesn't crash (unless the whole OS takes it down with it), It works with everything I come accross with it. :)

10. macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Hmm... I haven't had any problems... must be because I download the nightlies every day (or night... or whatever). It hasn't crashed on me once since 0.5... almost as stable as OS X.

irmongoose

11. macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

i've only had one problem with chimera...it doesn't load www.nickelodeon.com

i was trying to check on invader zim stuff and it crashed...and that's the ONLY time it's ever chrashed on me

0.6 is great...i had a few problems with 0.5 like a lot of people, but i'm not complaining...IE sucks donkey butt...pop-ups galore and crashing is not my fancy

oh yah...did i mention i love tabs?

12. Moderator emeritus

It stopped using 0.4.0 because it was buggy and needed more functionality, but since I downloaded 0.6.0, I use it almost exclusively.

I've yet to see a crash. Watch, it will crash as I click to post this. :D

It works quite well overall, considering that it's a beta, it's amazing.

13. macrumors 6502a

The last few nightly builds (since they changed the toolbar icons) have been great, and I think last night's build was the best yet. Crashes seem to be a thing of the past now, even on flash sites (with the latest nightly and latest flash beta, flash now seems perfectly stable - and fast!)

14. macrumors member

nice browser

I was hesitant to use it at first but it's all I use now. It hasn't crashed on me (except when I let curiosity get ahold of me and clicked on the nickelodeon link...<shakes fist>)

It has been so much faster at loading than IE that I can't even use IE without becoming impatient.

Since I'm new to chimera will someone explain the netscape relationship to chimera? thanks.

15. Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

I havent had Chimera crash on me in many month. For the past 3 months my computer was shared with about 20 other people using it for a browsing. It never crashed on any of thm either and was much faster than ie on the shared PCs. Chimera really has closed the gap between browsing on a mac and on a pc.

i am now addicted to chimera and only have ie, moz, and ow on my computer to test websites. but going back to moz or ie after using chimera is just unbearably slow. chimera .6 is in my mind a completed browser. whatever they add between now and version 1.0 is simply icing on the cake.

For information on chimera and the mozilla project go to http://www.mozilla.org/mozorg.html. Simply put netscape started an open source browser project called mozilla from which they could build netscape 6. chimera is a project started by a number of individuals using the open source code the mozilla project created/s

16. macrumors member

Use Opera 6.0 when it's released. If you try the Beta now, you'll be dissapointed, but when it's done it'll rip.

I use Opera 6 for PC when I'm at work and it's hands down the best browser I've ever used. Beta 3 for the Mac is almost as good, but when it's done it'll be better than the PC version (of course).

-Aaron

17. macrumors 65816

benixau

chimera still kicks opera 6 on a pc. it is only at version .6 too. wait till we get to one. i think apple may take an interest in them then. other than all i see happening to chimera is a few more features and plugin compatability. CSS / Java / Flash / Shockwave etc stuff fixed and even more code optimization.

If chimera deosnt kick when it gets to version 1.0 then i think that opera will have just stolen the code and developed it faster.

18. thread starter macrumors 68020

howard

for awhile i was using the metal skin for chimera...i took it off and i'm noticing it is a lot faster...could the skin have been slowing it down??

19. macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Am I right to assume that you're all using SpeedChimera? If not...you're missing out on the true potential of Chimera...

Just wanted to bring it up.

20. macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Apple already did take an interest in Chimera.. they hired the guy who made it...

Over Achiever: yes, I used SpeedChimera, but I don't know how much difference it made... do you know of a page with benchmarks or something?

irmongoose

21. macrumors regular

I have found chimera to load pages faster than Exploder, but flash stuff has been pretty slow, and there is a bit of a lag when I am typing text into a text field (like I am doing now)- gives me memories of word processing on my old mac plus.

Has some great features, but is also lacking some features.
    I don't get many crashes though.

22. macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Nope. Sorry. :(

I just have been hearing that SpeedChimera greatly improves the speed and adds additional features, I guess not then :(

23. macrumors regular

Probably Nickelodeon realized it...
    After clicking the link all I got was
    An error (500 Internal Server Error) has occured in response to this request.

24. macrumors 604

MacBandit

Chimera only crashes for me when I go to cetain websites. At the moment specifically www.comingsoon.net. I have reported this several times and it was actually fixed in one nightly build but since has developed problems again. So I continue to report the problem and use IE when I want to view that page. Chimera does open that page once in a great while. I think it probably has something to do with popup adds.

25. macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

that page worked just fine and dandy for me (i got a little curious as others have i'm sure)