Is Colorware ripping me off?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iBoy111, Aug 6, 2006.

1. iBoy111 macrumors member

Aug 2, 2006
    Is it? Someone told me that a MacBook costs more that it should on colourware, so I decided to ask you guys.
  2. stoid macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    Yes, ColorWare has an additional mark-up on Apple computers, even beyond Apple's mark-up. However, they also do their own work on the laptop, and that is what you are paying extra for. It IS cheaper to get an Apple computer from Apple or Amazon or ClubMac or whatever, but you can't get the spiffy colors and such that ColorWare offer.
  3. daveL macrumors 68020

Jun 18, 2003
    If you buy it new from them, you are paying a premium above and beyond the paint job. I believe it something around $200 extra. You are better off buying the machine yourself at the best price you can find, then sending it to them for the paint job. Look under services on their Web site. It takes 3 weeks, and it still ain't cheap.
  4. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

Apr 14, 2006
    Clemson, SC
    i think i read somewhere that the extra you pay when you buy the machine new from them is for their warranty. i don't know all the details, or how their coverage is, but it's worth looking into, since I doubt Apple will ever fix your MB if it's been colored...
  5. Flyinace2000 macrumors 6502a

Sep 28, 2004

I had them do my iPod 2 years ago. They do amazing work. The ipod coloring does not void the warranty since they do not take it apart. I would call them and ask them about how their paint job affects the apple warranty. If they are apple certified techs it may not void your warranty. but call them and ask.

And no, they are not ripping you off.
  6. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Jan 11, 2005
    Little grey, chilly island.
    Much in the same way as Apple add a cost for their Black Macbooks, Colorware do the same thing - only in a sense it is more unique due the massive list of colours you can use.

You're paying a premium for a unique styling - much in the same way you'd pay extra for an Armani suit though there are many brands with the same styling.
  7. wako macrumors 65816

Jun 6, 2005
    You do not only pay for the paint job. You are also paying for a warranty service provided by them. AppleCare is entirely voided when you buy a ColorWare product. If you feel that the one year warranty is not enough, they also offer an additional 1 year, like AppleCare, for 250.

In my opinion it isnt a rip off if you are looking for something a bit more unique (heh, then again its a mac so it already is to the rest of the world ;)) you may a premium for it, like any boutique items.