is cosmetic surgery worth it?

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Jun 14, 2003.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i talked to my dental hygenist and she told me about people who cap their teeth when they don't need to just for looks...they don't like the look of silver fillings

my former boss got a breast implant and used to wear a t-shirt that gave the before and after dimensions...she looked just fine before and i couldn't imagine why she would do an operation like that in her mid 40s

and men are flocking to doctors to change their appearance, too these days

i saw a tv special on the discovery channel about hair implants for men and on the radio, on a medical talk show, there was a piece on how some men severed muscules near their ***** so they can have more length and one side effect of that would be a much lower angle during erection...and men still did this for one stupid extra inch...the average is a mere 6.8 inches but nobody will admit to that

and i still remember the days when andre agassi, tennis star and sports sex symbol, used to wax his chest enduring painful procedures so he would look better when he unbuttoned a couple of buttons on his tennis shirt...i guess it looks better on camera:rolleyes:

i think, if it doesn't greatly affect the way a person looks or functions, one should let things be the way god intended things to be

what do you think?

2. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

you know what i blame this on the breakdown of????

society.

:)

i think it's pathetic really. i could see getting breast reductions or something like that if it's a health issue... but beyond that..

i mean, for people who do it to help boost their confidence, i can kinda see why, but at the same time, i think that everyone "should" be able to be happy with who they are... and if they aren't, a quick fix isn't the best way to go... because, ok, now you have nice boobs, but maybe you'll realize your butt isn't as nice as it could be? or your thighs are a little big...

hard to know when it will stop.

3. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

i have to admit, one thing i would like to see would be human RAM installations for the brain

i think over the years one or more of my RAM sticks in my brain have gone bad:p

4. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

spoken like a true tecchie.

5. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

I thought dental cosmetic proceedures were fairly common stateside, certainly I get ribbed by my US pals for having slightly crooked, elongated and pointy canine teeth, I get called "Spike" a lot...

I would assume that the braces that a lot of US kids are forced to endure is a form of cosmetic surgery.

As for the rest, it's whatever floats your boat, if you want to go ruin a perfectly good face, go ahead, it doesn't hurt anyone but yourself. Stupid people deserve everything they buy.

Jello's right, it's the envy culture working overtime, a lot of people think that beauty and happiness are truly skin deep.

6. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

yeah, i guess braces are somewhat cosmetic... but a lot of times it's for "health" reasons too... ie, teeth could start pushing other teeth out of place and all that, beyond just how they look

as much as i'd make fun of your british teeth, i'd make fun of you more if you got them fixed for purely aesthetic reasons... it's win-win with me. :)

7. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Oh yeah?, me and my British teeth might bite your face off if we ever get that close.:D :D :D ;)

8. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

you think that my bodyguards (all complete with drenched trousers) would let you that close? ;)

at least you don't have your head in the queen mum's arse like some brits i know. ;)

9. AhmedFaisal Guest

Have you ever seen how facelifted people look when they get older? Friggin scary if you ask me, like mummies. My g/f is getting her nose fixed one of these days but that is because she broke it when she was young and has breathing problems. For any other reasons besides obvious medical problems or if you look totally horrible like a bent nose or split lip or something like that i think its idiotic. Same goes for braces, unless your teeth are totally crooked you shouldn't do it, and any good doctor that takes his oath serious should refuse to but braces on when they are not needed.
    My 2 cents.

Ahmed

10. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

er... you didn't make me Minister of Dirty tricks for nothing Jello, I trained all your "bodygaurds":D

Queen Mum's been dead a year, so that is a truly disgusting image,even for you;)

A friend of my Mothers has just had breast reductions, went from a 52 GG to a 36 DD, she's 55 and was having really bad back problems.:eek:

11. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I believe it's a baby boomer idea. Too much disposable income and alot of vanity. Personally I think it's wrong, unless it's done for medical reason!

12. iGav macrumors G3

:p :p :p :p

13. vniow macrumors G4

I can see it being okay in some instances, but a lot of it has gone overboard.....I'm probably going to go in for some in a couple years for my own reasons though....

14. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

I dont understand why some people want to spend thousands of dollars just to remove a couple wrinkles in their skin. It just seems kind of pointless. Why would a 55 year old woman want to look 30 in the first place?

15. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

ahh, touche. :)

i see i've touched a sore spot with talk of queen mum.. ;)

16. cc bcc macrumors 6502

It's a sign of times, people somehow can't handle taking life as it comes. It's the first step into denial of our human origins.

I always laugh when I see these walking plastic dummies, because I know that they (just like me) have to take stinking **** every once in a while. :D
    And I know that they will be sitting there on their toilets, feeling ashamed of the stench and the harsh basic primitive banality of being no more than a filthy animal, all forgotten the art of enjoying a good ****. :D

17. Chomolungma macrumors regular

To all his/her own:)

18. Chomolungma macrumors regular

To all his/her own:)

19. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

In a simple word it's vanity!

If you don't mind me asking vinow, what kind of surgery do you have in mind? It's perfectly OK if you prefer not to answer. Just interesting to know the reasons when a young lady plans cosmetic surgery. The majority do it for one reason though!

20. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Watch a couple of the plastic surgery mistake shows...
    [​IMG]

Then doesn't look worth it.

If you're still thinking about it...

Hang a poster of the current Michael Jackson on your wall.

I have enough problems with the dentist, and I've been going to one of the guys that does reconstructions and fixing other peoples mistakes. And even this guy can miss stuff.

21. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

It's better than gettingt a blue screen of death :D

22. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I agree. I could think of situations where I would get surgery.

I have no plans to now though ;).

[​IMG]

23. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I hear about people getting manicures for their pets, and even taking them to doggy psychiatrists. I wonder if vain pet owners are getting their dog or cat a facelift and a nosejob too?

24. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

25. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Is comsemtic surgery worth it?

I dunno... I guess that depends on how ugly you are. :D

Lethal