Is Doctor Q male or female?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Doctor Q, Sep 19, 2004.

1. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

It is human nature that we sometimes let stereotypes influence us if we don't make a conscious effort not to, and that we usually treat men and women differently whether we realize it or not.

Today is my second anniversary at MacRumors so I've decided to celebrate by revealing a secret.

When I joined MacRumors in 2002 as "Doctor Q", I tried an experiment that I thought would be fun and interesting. I wondered if people would automatically assume I was male if I had "Doctor" in my title. When I began posting here regularly, I was careful not to say anything that revealed my sex. Usually it was easy, but sometimes I had to phrase my posts carefully or avoid part of a discussion. Of course, I'm a math-geek type too, and everyone knows math-geeks are male, right? ;)

As the weeks went on, nobody seemed to notice the ambiguity. People regularly referred to me as "he", apparently without thinking about it, certainly without asking about it. It's nice for people to respect privacy, but I figured I'd get asked eventually (or slip up).

Well, weeks turned into months, and I found myself approaching the 1 year mark. I tried putting some bait out with a post in the "Brain Teaser" thread, but nothing came of it. Same with this post and this post. And I survived a couple of discussions about gender-neutral pronouns, such as the ones here and here.

So here I am at the 2 year mark and I'm ready to call it quits with my unscientific experiment. My conclusion? I think that everyone at MacRumors is assumed to be male unless they say otherwise or their member name indicates otherwise. And I have been pleased to find that a wide variety of people are welcome here and that women are pretty much free to be themselves, i.e., they get no more flack than the men for their opinions.

At last count, a little over 8% of the members in the MacRumors Members Photo Directory were female, and a few threads and a poll have shown varying but small percentages of women here. So the odds are certainly with you if you assume that somebody is male. But that also means you could be wrong one out of a dozen times!

By the way, I know some MacRumors members personally; they know of my game and have been asked not to spoil it. The same for the other moderators, who have given out no personal information about me because they know that is my preference. If you already know the answer to my question, please don't say so.

I'll post the answer later this week. In the meantime, have I succeeded in getting anyone to question their assumptions?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Now I don't know if you are infact female, or if this is all a bluff! :confused: Either way, it doesn't really matter :cool: :)

It's funny actually, I quite frequently get PM's asking if the face in my avatar is me :eek: I should have just said yes to see how far you pervs would have taken it! lol :D

I am a bloke, and my 'tar is not me!

3. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I think shadowfax had the same problem.

Attached Files:

4. takao macrumors 68040

takao

a little bit surprising but not that i was falling out of my beliefs ... it's the internet and people pretend be whatever they want sometimes...(we played a few pranks in the past and sent a guy from our class to railway station.. where we showed up and took a photograph of him waiting there...boy was he pissed the next day....few years later we've done it to somebody who was member of the first prank....the ridiculous claims and storie whe thought up for that were absolutly 'over the top' but sending a (fake of course) picture first pretty obviously blinded him ;) )

i found it hard to pretend to be someone else especially somebody from the other gender (i had to adopt a different style of writting emails etc. and avoid phrases i use a lot )
    i guess it's more easy if play that game with complete strangers

i personnaly thought you where male as well but i guess it's just that on a forum about computers it's more 'safe' to assume a male sitting behind a 'nickname' ;)
    in a chat room it's a different thing..there i get asked about my gender...here at macrumours it doesn't really matter

5. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

ubergeek is a math/science geek and i assumed, along with many others, that ubergeek was male

when i found out ubergeek was female, it shocked me since i had always assumed ubergeek was some genius programmer guy in his teens, living above his parent's house, drinking jolt cola, hacking into corporate networks ;)

6. makisushi macrumors 6502

Well, I am male, but people assume I am female all the time. It is starting to get on my nerves... ;)

7. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

All this time, I thought you were one of these :confused:
    [​IMG]

8. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Why?

9. PickledSquirrel macrumors regular

PickledSquirrel

Probably because -sushis nick does sound slightly fishy:D

10. matt459 macrumors member

I just took the gender test on sparknotes, and i failed??? well, I'm a guy and it said
    "Compared to others... 12 % certain you're a woman
    64% more male than you — 7% like you — 29% more female than you"
    Well, what does anyone else think about this test?

11. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

This is like that old puzzle which is often used to highlight social stereotypes:

Man and his son are involved in a car accident. The father dies instantly and the son is rushed to the nearest hospital. A doctor sees the boy and says, "I can't operate on him, he's my son". How can this be?

The answer, especially within the context of this thead, seems pretty obvious but it's surprising the number of people who are completely flummoxed by it.

Here's an interesting little article on sexism on the web: link. It's got to be said that the I've never noticed any sexism in the Macrumors community, on the whole any abuse given is normally deserved! :D

12. PickledSquirrel macrumors regular

PickledSquirrel

hehe just tried it out. I flunked too :D 22 % certain that I'm male. 10% more male than me, none like me and 89% more female than me. -And I just gave birth to a son 3 months ago:D gotta love personality tests!

(wait, maybe its my sad childhood with four older brothers that has corrupted me, I'm a freak!!! a freeeeeeeak!!!!!!)

13. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

That got me the first time i heard it years ago :eek:

14. matt459 macrumors member

"Man and his son"....You got me on that one, but did they mean, man as in either of the genders, both ending in man?
    Oh, and for the test PickledSquirrel, I never do those kind of things with a serious attitude, I find them amusing. Maybe because I think all the guys in my school, for the most part, are either perverts or losers. I try to be less like them? ah well, who knows. Doctor Q, I have no clue as to your gender, but im going to guess male? Not because of the name Doctor, but im thinking your hinting at being female by talking about how we assume, and thereby double the confusion. Oh well, im perplexed. I'll be watching this one for a time, until you reveal the big secret, :D

Edit: oh, for the puzzle... a new thought, the doctor can be a woman right?

15. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Got it in one (well almost!) :D

16. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

The question really is "Does is matter whether you are a guy or a girl?"

Youre still Doc Q no matter what gender you happen to be.

17. Awimoway macrumors 65816

I have caught myself on more than one occasion assuming a “doctor” was male when in fact there was no indication either way. I'm not proud of it, but I'm not sure I should be ashamed either because my mistake doesn't stem from misogynistic bigotry but does come from simple experience — most doctors I encounter are male.

As for what your actual gender is, maybe you're like some other people who post on the forum who are a little of both. :eek: :)

Okay, okay, I'll play the game. I'm going to take the easy odds and say you're male. Yes? :confused:

18. janey macrumors 603

janey

*jaw drop*
    are you serious?! hahahahahhhhh!!

i dont even drink jolt cola...only mountain dew, bawls or (name some new caffeinated drink).

Gah, maybe i shoulda chosen another name :p

19. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

That one never puzzled me. I just figured one is his biological father and the other is his birth father. Hmmm, maybe I'd better check my biology book again.

20. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

clarity, since what I said didn't make any sense

The doctor is the boy's mother, for anyone still wondering. :p

I'm not going to guess Doctor Q's gender, but I always assume that everyone at MR is a guy. I treat everyone the same, though, because it doesn't matter to me. I don't check profiles, and I'll only assume male/female based on an obvious screen name.

Even if Doctor Q is female, I don't personally believe it has anything to do with the word "doctor" in his/her sn. Again, I assume everyone to be male unless it's revealed otherwise, or your sn is Jennifer or something. ;)

21. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I have to say male. He has Q in his user name and has Q's statement(modified) from James Bond. He is no other then Q himself.:D What are the gadgets/car for James Bond in Bond 21 Q?

22. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

When I first joined up, I thought V was a guy. Her name was something like edvniow, right? My mistake, sorry. :eek: Since then, I realized you really can't tell. That's why I try to say things like you and they, instead of he. Doc, I have no idea which you are. But to be honest, it probably doesn't matter. You're the same, ol' Doc Q to me either way. :)

This is why I don't do internet dating. It's like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get. I'm a guy BTW, not that it really matters, but I am.

23. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I will admit that I'm one of those they messed up with shadowfax. Was kindly corrected more than once. A very kind person indeed.

Happy 2nd anniversary Doctor Q, a very valuable member of MacRumors. Here's to many more insightful years.

24. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Sorry, I don't think it matters what sex you really are.

Tell us how you'd like to be treated and we'll treat you like that.

Just don't keep changing it back and forth -- it gets confusing.