Is Dual DVI proprietary?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by TheMonarch, May 6, 2005.

1. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

I got a silly question. Is the dual DVI on Apple's computers proprietary? The reason I ask is because What if another company, say, Dell, came out with a [cheaper] 30 inch LCD, will my powerbook be compatible with it?

2. Godflesh macrumors newbie

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

It's been a standard that's been around quite awhile...

Matrox has been using it in their air traffic control and medical imaging divisions for awhile.

Of course some of those pivot Grey scale medical imaging displays would be cool...

4. TheMonarch thread starter macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Thanks for the replies. So then whats taking so long for other companies to release those massive [and cheaper] 30 inchers? Competition can force apple to keep prices low, while at the same time it gives us (consumers) choice.

5. Simon Liquid macrumors regular

Part of this statement is true.

6. AstroManLuca macrumors member

A lot of XFX video cards have dual DVI ports.

Oh wait, you mean dual-link DVI? There's a big difference. But yeah, dual-link DVI is also a standard.

I don't think the 30" will have a glut of competition coming at it anytime soon. It's not cheap enough to really draw competitors to it. Apple's lower end displays, on the other hand, are being perpetually molested by Dell's offerings, which offer equal quality, more features (like dual inputs, VGA compatibility), all for just over half the cost. $499 for a Dell 20" vs. $799 for an Apple one? Yeah, that's not much of a choice.