Is DVD Region a property of the computer or the superdrive?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by swiftaw, Sep 6, 2005.

1. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Well, what I am getting at is this. If I bought an external DVD-RW could I have it set to a different region to the superdrive or is region a property of the computer as a whole?

2. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

The superdrive.

3. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Not to steal your thunder or anything...

But on a similar note, If my drive is set to a certain region (whichever the US region is), how do I play a Chinese DVD? I bought an Indiana Jones Box Set in China and would like to back them up to my hard drive, but the drive just spits them out.. no mount or anything.

4. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

The correct answer is: both. The Superdrive limits you (in conjunction with Apple's DVD Player app) to 5 region changes. Flashing the drive will let the drive change regions an unlimited number of times, but Apple's DVD player will still limit you to 5 changes. Therefore, you must use another app such as VLC to play those DVDs.

5. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

depending on the drive you may be able to get region free firmware online. it's really easy to flash your drive's firmware using the terminal.

6. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    In my experience, Apple's player does not limit you. I put a region reset firmware on my G5's superdrive (so every time I boot up it resets to region 1 with 5 changes left), and I was able to change the region of Apple's player more than 5 times. On my Cube I put a rpc1 firmware, and just use a program to reset the firmware on the drive... whether it does anything to Apple's program, I don't know, but I have also changed that one more than 5 times.