Is Expose No More...?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by atacinus, Jun 7, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502

I rarely have more than 3 chrome windows open at a time...perhaps a pages document...for me mission control is overkill and because it stacks the windows it seems worse than the current expose. Can someone who has lion running now tell me if expose still exists as an optional hotkey or if mission control drinks its entire milkshake?

2. macrumors 68000

ErikGrim

Mission control replaces all window exposé.

3. macrumors member

So, there's absolutely NO way to invoke "windows" Expose? If you have two Safari windows open, and nothing else, will the windows always be stacked into a single Safari app bundle? Is there any way to have it immediately display all windows, as it used to do in Leopard?

4. macrumors 68000

wikus

I'd like to know this as well, i use expose within a single app a LOT, particularly in photoshop when im working on a project with different elements.

5. macrumors G3

Looks like the answer to your question is in this thread. And if I'm reading it correctly, it's still there, just that the preferences are moved.

I think that Mission Control picture that was shown replaces one of the expose modes.

6. macrumors 6502a

Im using Lion DP4 and i can't find any way to enable this like it is in Snow Leopard. Huge disappointment. Mission Control is a step backwards.

7. macrumors member

kristoffers4

Expose is still there, you can enable it in the preferences pane...

8. macrumors 6502a

I don't see anywhere to enable this.

Can't display all application windows like you can in snow leopard.

9. macrumors member

kristoffers4

Prefs>Trackpad>More Gestures>Exposé

10. macrumors 6502

Can you still press and hold on the application icon on the dock to show the windows just for that application?

11. macrumors 6502a

Thats the prob then i don't have a track pad. Mouse users are forgotten by the looks of it.

Not being able to display all application windows is really frustrating.

No.

12. macrumors 603

roland.g

You should be able to hold click on a dock icon, Safari, etc. and get an Expose of all the current windows for that app, just like in SL, whether they are minimized or not.

On another note, Apple may try to boost Trackpad sales even more in 10.8 with double trackpad 8 finger gestures. :D

13. macrumors member

kristoffers4

In Mission Control you can see all your application windows.. I don't see your problem to be honest....

14. macrumors 6502a

No, you can't.

This mission control is a big set backwards for me.

15. macrumors 6502a

I have 12 windows minimised into application icon there is no way to show them like you could with expose in SL.

16. macrumors 68030

Right click on dock icon. Show All Windows.

17. macrumors 68040

Phil A.

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/534.32 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Right click on the icon in the dock and select show all windows or press F10 (may need fn-f10 depending on your keyboard settings). Minimized windows are shown smaller than non minimized ones in this view

18. macrumors member

kristoffers4

F10 actually works, great!

19. macrumors 6502a

There is no way to show all minimised windows like you can in SL.

ALl Application Windows no longer exists.

20. macrumors 68030

The show all windows command just shows them smaller, but still shows them all exposé style.

Attached Files:

21. macrumors 6502a

Where is the show all windows command ?

22. macrumors 68030

Right click the dock icon. Show All Windows.

23. BlackMangoTree, Jun 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2011

macrumors 6502a

It can't be done like in SL.

In SL you minimise Mail, iTunes, Calendar, Address Book and 4 Safari windows then select All Application Windows and all them windows would show on the screen. This is no longer possible.

This made working with many windows open very easy having the function assigned to the middle mouse click. Now having to right click and select show all windows and only for individual apps is extremely frustrating.

24. macrumors 68040

Phil A.

Mission control does show the same information (+ spaces) as All Application Windows does in SL, but in a different format where windows from the same application are grouped together. I personally never really used the All Application Windows function but can see that it could be frustrating getting used to a new way of working. You can assign a shortcut to All Windows so you could use your middle mouse button to view all windows for an app, which isn't quite as flexible as showing all application windows but better than right clicking on the dock, I guess

25. macrumors 68030

I guess I'm confused with what you are looking to do. What you described is Exposé in SL. In Lion it is mission control now, but you still can get an overview of your current app windows by right clicking the dock icon and using Show All Windows. If you want to see every window of every app use mission control.
    If I'm misunderstanding your point, please explain.