Is eyetv an antenna for OTA HD? Or do I also need an antenna?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by sigamy, Jan 24, 2011.

1. macrumors 65816

Just read the elgato site and I'm still not clear on this. Is there a version of eyetv that includes an antenna for OTA HD? Or do I need to purchase an antenna in addition to the eyetv?

TIA

2. macrumors 6502a

BigDukeSix

While I am pretty sure an external antenna is also needed, I too am interested in hearing from folks who have actual experience with this product.

3. macrumors 6502

Need Antenna

Been using EYETV for some time - like it.

You will need an antenna - depending your your location (precise) you might be able to use and indoor one - or not. I use one on my roof.

Look here for your location - http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx

4. macrumors 601

Tilpots

You need to purchase an additional antenna. The link above will help you decide what kind you need.

5. macrumors 6502a

All ElGato receivers sold in the US need an antenna - whether its an external or internal one - or they can be connected to your cable box.

6. macrumors newbie

You do need an antenna.

Hi!

I came to your thread from the original post about cutting cable you started. So I'll post there too...

But in the meantime, I wanted to share what I did to find an antenna. Using AntennaWeb, I took a leap of faith and instead of going with a roof mounted antenna, I went with an the Jack Antenna. It's a digital antenna for RV's and it works flawlessly. I live in the 92620 ZIP code in So Cal. So you'll see that this antenna isn't supposed to work really bc of the distances involved. But it does.

I have a blog called www.tvonthecheap.com. Check it out to see how my antenna was chosen and how it fits into my system (which I think will be a lot like yours).

Hope this helps.
    RJ