Is filemaker pro 6 compatible with 10.3?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by btcomm, Jan 15, 2007.

1. btcomm macrumors regular

Thats all I need to know, I will really appreciate the answer.

2. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

5.5 and 8 aren't, so I would assume that 6 and 10 aren't. However, you can save as an older version (I believe) in the newer Filemakers, or you can save as tab separated text.

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

[brushes hair into a faux Mohawk, scowls] Whatchoo talking 'bout, fool?

[opens Filemaker on G4 MDD OS X 10.3.x machine to make sure]

Filemaker 5.5 and 6.0 are for sure compatible with OS 9, OSX 10.2x, 10.3x, 10.4x and Intel 10.4x under Rosetta. I use it every day. I presume that when you say 10.3 you mean the latest appropriate OS X version for your machine, such as 10.3.9, and not literally 10.3.0 unpatched. 8.5 runs under 10.3.9 and above (10.4.5 and above for Intel obviously)

disco, have you ever, like, used Filemaker, or did you just pull that answer out of thin air? There is no Filemaker 10 or 10.3, of course.

The comment about backsaving newer versions -- Filemaker in the past 10 years has had three distinct and mutually incompatible file formats

3.0/4.0/4.1 (.FP3)

5.0/5.5/6.0 (.FP5)

7.0/8.0/8.5 (.FP7)

These versions cannot backsave FM databases compatible with earlier versions (Hint: Tab Text data exports != 'compatibility') , and cannot open earlier version database file formats without doing an import procedure which may or may not preserve all functions.

There are minor, but sometimes important, differences in function compatibility between the version numbers within a file format, even though the file can be opened by all members of that format (example, any .FP5 can be opened by 5.0, 5.5 and 6.0, but the 5's will not be able to utilize scripts and functions that were introduced in verion 6.)

So saving to earlier versions -- no.

4. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Syntax error, good sir. I thought he meant Filemaker 10.3, which I had no idea if exists or not, since 5.5 is all I need.

Which I use in Tiger, so I'm sure that 6 will be fine.

(man, remember the days of Syntax Errors?)

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

See post #3 above. No such thing as Filemaker 10.3 ...

6. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap