Is Frontrow bugged?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by farqueue, Jul 9, 2006.

1. farqueue macrumors 6502

farqueue

Hey ppl, just wondering if any of u guys think front row is bugged.

I have some problems with it. Whenever i go to Videos and try to scroll down, my macbook just hangs... I'll have to wait abt 2mins and then it works fine again

Any way to fix this??

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

I'm going to assume there might be a video in there that's causing a problem? This sounds like a codec issue or a network time out. Not having Front Row myself, I can't really give any more helpful advice beyond that (I don't know what shows up when you choose Videos). But that might get you pointed in some direction at least, to try some things out.

3. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

Sometimes when i am using front row on my mini, the remote will just cease to work for a while (especially when i am trying to press menu several times to get out of Front Row). I usually have to wait a minute or two for my computer to catch up with the commands from the remote. So i guess i have a similar, if not the same problem as you.

4. farqueue thread starter macrumors 6502

farqueue

ok then i guess i am on the same boat as you steamboat

5. count chocula macrumors 6502a

count chocula

i would recommend more ram to fix the problem. i have 1gb in my macbook, and the amount of available ram greatly affects the performance of front row, it gets jerky and unresponsive when there isnt enough available ram.

6. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

My iMac did that for about a week, then I replaced the 512 of ram with
    2 gigs and fixed it immediately.

7. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Front Row is a buggy piece of software. Nowhere near enough versatility through options either. Its got great potential though, imo.

8. michaeldmartin macrumors regular

michaeldmartin

Front row and safari have a similar situation. Sure, safari has a good engine but it's buggy as HELL and more memory leaks than you can imagine. The difference? Many years of development time. Apple shoves this stuff out practically overnight (with the exception of the intel transition). While they're amazing programs, they are BUGGY. Just give them time.. :)

9. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I think (hope) we'll see a relatively major upgrade to Front Row in Leopard. I really like FR, and I get quite a lot of use out of it on my iMac. That said, it's kind of buggy and hangs up a lot, especially if there are other things running on my Mac. Responsiveness could definitely be improved. Front Row is really the only things (other than Rosetta apps) that sort of feels slow on my iMac.

(I realize FR is not technically part of OS X, but by the time Leopard ships, it will almost certainly be included with all new Macs. I guess another option would be to put it in iLife '07)

10. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

I am still not used to the idea of interacting with my computer through a remote. I still end up using iPhoto for watching slideshows or iTunes to listen to music by using the keyboard and mouse. I guess this won't change until I have a computer in the living room tied to my TV.

11. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Being able to lay on my bed with a book and control iTunes with a simple remote is really nice. Being able to use my iMac just like a regular TV (I don't watch TV, only DVDs and Lost from iTunes) is also really nice. I don't use the photos feature however.