Is GIMP universal?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jaxstate, Jun 12, 2006.

1. jaxstate macrumors 6502a

Do anyone have this program loaded on their intel Mac. If so, how does it run.

2. risc macrumors 68030

risc

The Gimp is open source so you can grab the source and compile it on any UNIX like OS you like, as long as you have the dependencies installed.

3. jaxstate thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. ChrisA macrumors G4

I have a g4 Mac and a 2.4Ghz Penium Linux system. Gimp is very fast on the Pentium and it is faster then CS2 in the G4 Mac. I've not seen a universal Gimp but I've seen Intel mac versions and PPC Mac versions.

I think the Intel native version of Gimp hit the Internet about 2 days after the Intel mac because available..

5. ammon macrumors regular

6. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

i thought GIMP was supposed to be a free app......... they want $79 for it !!

7. PatrickF macrumors 6502

Yes a bit cheeky! Under the terms of the GPL (the licence that Gimp is released under) they are entitled to charge for the media that is shipped to you and shipping costs, etc. They do, however, also have to provide the software free of charge for download.

Not sure where this leaves them from a legal standpoint as they are essentially redistributing Gimp with some tweaks.

It appears the Fink maintainer has had a bit of a headache with them and OpenOSX. http://apple.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/11/14/1911229 and http://fink.sourceforge.net/pr/openosx.php.

8. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Free or Open Source software is free as in speech not free as in beer as the guys at GNU like to say. As long as they allow you to download the source code they can charge whatever they wish for the app.

9. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

No, they don't have to let you download the source. Their only obligation is to provide the source along with the binary in the same medium. If they sell CD's of the binary, then they just need to mail another CD with the source files on it.

GIMP website does have a link to donwload GIMP.app, which is free and supposed to be universal. However, after I downloaded it, "Get info" on the app displayed it as a PPC only. Someone on this forums claimed that the app is actually universal, but the launcher is PPC. I don't know what he means by "launcher", I could not get a reply, so that's all I know so far.

I do not need to use GIMP right now, so I cannot tell you how well it works on an intel Mac regardless of whether it is universal or not. Over the weekend, I might try to stitch a few photos to create a panaromic image, then I'll see if it works well.

10. TAV macrumors regular

I've been using the uni version of Gimp (2.2) for a while now - works like a champ on both the 20" intel and the MBP (2.16).

[​IMG]

11. vniow macrumors G4

GIMP itself is a ported *NIX app and is either a binary in /usr/bin (I think) or within the GIMP app bundle itself depending on which version you install. I forget which since I don't have a Mac on me at the moment. The GIMP app that you double click on to launch opens up the X11 environment so the binary can run, its not the application itself. That's the launcher which was PPC last time I checked (may be universal now).

12. TAV macrumors regular

13. iBunny macrumors 65816

The Gimp 2.2 Beta is Universal... and let me tell you, it is outstanding.

The Gimp UB on my 2GHz Core duo is deffinatly faster than Photoshop CS2 on a Dual 2.5GHz G5. Never used a quad other than @ the apple store, so I couldnt tell you - I specualte the quad would still be faster.

Anyway, my point is... as is right now.. even the beta of gimp UB is superior in speed to PS CS2... and even more... its free... you cant beat that with a stick.

14. oober_freak macrumors regular

GIMP rocks :)

It is indeed better that Photoshop. I just hope some one improves upon the Mac interface. And I hope that some one doesn't charge $79 for it.

15. ChrisA macrumors G4

If IS free. Free as in "Free Speech". Meaning it's use and distribution is not restricted. This means that yes them, you or I can charge $80. But if you do buy if for $80 there is nothing stopping you from making copies and giving it away, posting it on your web site Or even re-salling copies for $70 and competing with that guy selling it for $80. Because it is so easy to get copies of gimp you'd be nuts to pay $80 unless the $80 got you something like pre-paid technical support or stacks of printed and bound documentation. But the "right to use" is free.

Mac uses are an odd bunch. They actually _prefer_ to pay for software. Look at the company "parallels" They sell virual machine software and their competition is a free system but people prefer to pay for thr packed product because it saves them from having to figureout the free one. The whole Apple concept is to pay a premium price so that stuff "just works". I gues the guy selling Gimp for $80 saw a market in Apple users.
    Or maybe these guys likely are siomply taking advantage if folks that don't know better?

If you go to www.gimp.org you can find a half dozen ways to put Gimp on a mac. Source code is acvailable so you can always build a version yourself if desired too.

16. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

When I do this, it tells me it is a PPC binary. How did you get Gimp.app? Through Aaron Voisine's Gimp.app, built it yourself or one of the package management systems?

17. jaxstate thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm not into building source code. I'm wondering would it run under Rosetta or run natively.

18. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

No need to get angry... I have downloaded it from this same location a few weeks ago (it said Universal back then as well), but when I "Get Info" on the app, it says PPC, not universal. I am just trying to understand what I am missing.

19. jaxstate thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, you are a true goddess, mean, but goddess no less;) .

20. vniow macrumors G4

Read post 12. Wash, rinse and repeat. You'll know its universal by the speed at which it runs.

If we had custom titles mine would be Macrumors Demi-Bitch. ;)

-Ani

21. count chocula macrumors 6502a

count chocula

i know that this isnt directly related to the op's question, but i thought asking here would be bettert than starting another thread. how do i get gimp to run on my mac? i've downloaded it and i get the message shown it my first attactchment. i have since installed the files shown in my second two attatchments, with the same result. i could really use some help.

Attached Files:

22. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

Scroll down on your OSX DVD further and you'll see the optional installs package. Install X11 from there. X11SDK is not the same things.

23. count chocula macrumors 6502a

count chocula

thanks! its working for me now.