is good charlotte the next green day?

Discussion in 'Music Discussion' started by jefhatfield, Jul 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Retired

jefhatfield

i hail from the original punk generation of the 70s so i don't really know the new stuff

i have heard a couple of good charlotte songs and they seem to have the same pop punk energy that can make them the next green day

thoughts?

what about blink?

2. macrumors Penryn

Abstract

The next Green Day? Whoa, I sure hope not. :p I hate Green Day, except for their song, "Time of your Life", but everybody likes that song. Otherwise.......bleh. And lets not even talk about Blink. I know that Blink 182 have a lot of fans, but I'm not one of them. Sorry. I heard Good Charlotte is just a bad imitation of the two.

"My ears are bleeding. My ears are Bleeding!!!"

3. macrumors 6502

There can never really be another Green Day. They were trailblazers in the eyes of Pop music. They brought Punk to the masses. If your about being true to the punk roots Good Charlotte is far from it much further then Blink. Blink paid their dues for quite a few years before going corporate. Good Charlotte when right to it, MTV ASAP. GC fans don't go off the deepend on me on of my buddies grew up listening to them as they lived on the same street in Maryland.

4. Moderator

robbieduncan

Staff Member

Erm aren't Green Day still around. I'm sure they played London last year! Good Charlotte are very good, but I'm note sure they have the same pop attraction that Green Day have now, or the energy of Dookie.

5. macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

In one word: no.

I like Green Day. I was listening to them at the same time I was knee-deep in NIN, go fig.

Anyone who thinks either Green Day, Blink-suck, or Good Charlotte is punk is a little off-base. In the last decade we have seen punk go from a sorta-kinda political form of music to an excuse not to have any talent, message, or point. IMO it's also an excuse to be somewhere between a boy-band and a rock star, with the, er, benefits of both.

That said, Green Day is soft punk, and they were an entertaining listen, they were full of energy, and even though their music was mostly pointless it was pretty good. They didn't take themselves too seriously, an important point for a modern punk band.

I have never found any redeeming value to Good Charlotte, their music stinks, their lyrics are juvenille (even for """punk"""), and the lead singer has a spider-web on his elbow. That's enough for me to not like anyone.

As for Blink-182, don't even get me started.

6. macrumors 604

scem0

blink 182...... PUNK?!??!

ahahahahahahh[​IMG]

There is barely even a hint of punk in their music.

it is POP POP POP.

I really can't stand punk music, but my fav punk band (the only one I don't hate) would have to be the Impossibles.

I still don't like them though.

Good Charlotte is annoying as hell. They aren't very punky either, more poppy. I can't stand any of their songs.

scem0

7. macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

i think avril lavigne throwing up the horns on SNL signaled the official death of punk. as for good charlotte, my little sister listens to them, and she seems to like them. she also likes something called hubastank (sp?) and O-Town, so draw your own conclusions.

8. macrumors 604

scem0

hoobastank is good.... I was actually listening to them when I read that. How funny.

Avril makes good pop music. She shouldn't deny that it is pop though, because it is.

scem0

9. macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

Hoobastank wishes it was Tool. Just my opinion...

10. macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

gc is pop punk.

11. macrumors 68030

medea

the word pop punk is an oxymoron, and bands like good charlotte and all the rest of them are quite horrid, they should just call themselves skater pop.....

12. macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

the phrase pop punk may be an oxymoron, but I don't tihnk it is. Ok I'm sorry but I think theres a spectrum of punk music, theres what the purists would call hardcore punk music, where a few elitests gather and play their so called classic records and look down on everyone else. Lets say thats all the way to the right.

In the middle there are modern real punk bands....whatever you define that as.

on the left Pop-Punk, just because you don't like something doesn't mean you just change its origin or style. Just because a percentage of a groups listeners are young annd a song catches on it doesn't devalue the music. I like good charlotees first cd because of the single little things, . the album was alright but good enough to warrant the purchase of a new cd and honestly I like the cd. Its well written and its melodic. You can accuse them of writing for 13year olds all you want but its simply not true. Case and point the first single Lifestyle of the Rich and Famous (this song was palyed alot but it has a point celebrities complain about dumb crap and they make a couple of great funy references that work into the song seemlessly "If you were caught and you were smokin crack, McDonalds wouldn't even want to take you back but you can always jsut run for mayor of DC" now I wonder how many 13yr old girls listened to that song and said ohh yeah hes talking about former District of Columbia Mayor Marion Barry who was convicted of felony possesion of crack/cocaine and touted the famous one liner "the b**** set me up".

The band AFI is another great example. After years of a deep underground culture they make a new record and its awesome. the new record gets played on the radio...gasp...they sold out...boom instantly the record isn't as good because some pompous self proclaimed old fan says "they've changed man" when the record was written without the least bit of fame.

my point is clear, hardcore punk is not the same as pop punk. Pop punk is upbeat ( shocker) sometimes funny and its not always some guy whining or singing so fast you can even understand the "deep" lyrics.

13. macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Green day sold out. (You can say sell outs, but think about it grammically, they sold out, they didn't sell out.)

By meaning are they the next half decent punk band, I hope not.

there are better band out there, many look for the spot up there, few succeed.

14. macrumors 6502

O I should really hope not, I would rather strangle myself than listen to them...uhg...I think that the next "green day" like band would be more like "less than Jake" or maybe even pennywise...but then again Punk music isn't my fav :D I perfer me metal \M/

15. job
    macrumors 68040

job

Whahahahahha...

No, Hoobastank wishes it was Incubus. Sounds exactly the same anyways. :D :p

16. macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

Yeah, and Incubus wishes it was deep. Kinda circular ;)

17. macrumors demi-god

LethalWolfe

I would say that GC is the next Blink 182. In other words, they are Mtv's next pet pop punk band. I thought Mtv would've kept Sum 41 around longer, but I think GC can probably be marketed better.

I'm not an elitiest or anything I just don't like pop punk because the things that make me enjoy listening to punk aren't present in pop punk.

Lethal

18. job
    macrumors 68040

job

Yeah no kidding.

Let see, we've had Blink, New Found Glory, Sum 41, and now Good Charlotte. Any other MTV pet bands that I've forgotten?

Thank God the Ataris are still around. I haven't listened to their latest yet though.

19. macrumors member

MCPeck

Real punk are the Vandals, Rancid, Bad Religion, etc.
    While Blink may have punk..um..tendencies, they are truely a corporate product, and GC is a 110% corp product, not in the punk tradition of garage practicing and begging for gigs at the local dive bar.
    Tho not as malformed and doomed to hatred as say Britney, Christina, BSB, We'Stync, and such...they are still created and products of THE MAN.
    They have been created to stand on the shoulders of giants, and genius' to try and claim themselves as equals. Remember when Green Day was hated and subjegated fromt he punk community for selling out? That was true punk. The point is this; has anyone heard of or from GC before they were on MTV? Not I...

Damn the Man!

20. job
    macrumors 68040

job

How about the Sex Pistols? ;) :p

One of my co-workers who is really into the underground punk scene (at least that's what she claims) says they've been around for a while. She's into AFI, et al. I don't know though. I don't really care for GC anyways.

21. macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

Yeah, mtv didn't really play any of the GC singles fro mthe first album, Little thhings, motivation Proclimation or The festival Song were all dud videos, great songs but dud videos.

The vandals aren't that good. a few of their songs ae catchy like Soccer Mom and Dissaprotionted head but doesn't seem like anytihng to run home about. I was more excited to see the cartoon macs on their cd cover.

22. macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

internet dating superstuds

Attached Files:

23. macrumors 68040

mac15

they surpase them , green day suck

24. macrumors demi-god

LethalWolfe

Speaking of Rancid...

I really wanted to see the Distillers play at Lollapalooza but a storm rolled thru and they shut down the 2nd stage right before their set. :(

Lethal

25. Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

hmm...I didn't ever like Green Day...

and I couldn't tell u who Good Charlotte is...

the stuff isn't my bag...sorry... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.