Is Halo Marathon 4?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Haoshiro, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Just curious what peopel who have played both the Marathon series as well as Halo think.

It seems to me the game might could have been Marathon 4: Halo and because of the MS acquisition it became it's "own" franchise.

Just comparing stories... it really seems like Bungie may have meant for Halo to be a sequel. Is their anyone else that thinks this?

2. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

They say they're different universes, but they are very alike (the character in Marathon is a Mjolnir (sp?) IV cyborg, and Master Cheif's armour is Mjolnir Mark V or Mark VI; the Cortana letters; the use of 7; the Alien races being pretty much renamed; etc etc)

3. grabberslasher macrumors 6502

Nah, don't think so. Way back when Bungie was showing off the original Halo at Macworld it was a RTS/Action game of some sort, definitely not a Marathon sequel. When Microsoft bought Bungie they developed it into a first person shooter.

4. xmatt macrumors newbie

marathon 4?

You're close, but Halo is actually Pathways Into Darkness 5 (to which Myth is a prequel and Oni is an interlude).

5. Haoshiro thread starter macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Ahhh! Very interesting.

As for Halo being turned into an FPS by Microsoft, that isn't true. It is true it was a RTS/Action game at first, but I have an old video of Halo on Mac before Microsoft bought Bungie, and it was indeed an FPS... even had Dinosaurs...

6. LagunaSol macrumors 601

LagunaSol

For anyone who has ever played Marathon, its parentage to Halo is undeniable.

And is it just me, or is Halo not the most overrated game in history? It's a cool game, but geez. I think UT2004 trumps it easily, but talk to any Xbox owner and mention Halo and it will throw them into a joy-induced seizure.

Must be the Microsoft RDF. :)

7. Haoshiro thread starter macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Halo fanatics are usually that way because it was the first console FPS that really delivered the LAN experience in the living room. Plus, personally, I have not had more fun on a console FPS since Goldeneye on the N64.

8. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

Rockets, License to kill, Archives.

4 players.

Also the double barrel rocket launcher (SPNKR) was in Marathon. And there are a lot of Marathon symbols throughout Halo 1.

That having been said it is not Marathon 4.

9. NoNameBrand macrumors 6502

I think Halo is a retelling of the Marathon Universe - same/similar starting ideas and elements, but go in a slightly different direction.

I don't think Halo is overrated; was one of the most fun games I've played, Halo 2 even more so.

10. DougTheImpaler macrumors 6502a

Dude, exactly. Or Power Weapons, License to Kill, Archives...anything with a ton of explosives. Man, Goldeneye is the best ever!

So back on topic, to me Halo seems to be a future-based Marathon. Regardless, it's a fun game but not as great as many people would have you belie.ve

11. woxel1 macrumors member

How is Marathon not in the future? eheheheh...

12. DougTheImpaler macrumors 6502a

No, I mean the future...of the future...yesterday, it was next week...tomorrow it'll be...2 days from now! That's it! I've perfected time travel!

13. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Hehe, sorta the other way round (iirc, Marathon is set a few hundred years after Halo)

14. jepjepjep macrumors member

Halo = Marathon done right

I think Halo is Marathon version 2. Basically the same game, but done better. Jason Jones was the man behind both and there are a lot of parallels in both worlds. With Halo, it seemed like they could expand on the great things about Marathon , eliminate some of the deficiencies, and make it even better (more resources, $$, experience etc.).

15. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

However, there's far less storyline ;)

16. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

yes but the method the story is told with is more compelling

17. Atlasland macrumors 6502

18. millar876 macrumors 6502a

millar876

where could one get this video (trying not to sound desperate by saying gimmie gimmie gimmie gimmie gimmie )

19. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Isn't that also on the Halo 2 map pack disk? I think the Dinosaurs were the origional elites (they definatly looked very dinosaur-like on that demo, and there weren't any other Covenant species)

20. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

UT2004 is a good FPS, but games are good because of the story behind them. Halo is the master of that domain, at least as far as I'm concerned.

Final Fantasy 7 and 8 beat them all. :)

21. savar macrumors 68000

savar

I don't think the marathon style story telling (reading computer terminals) would have gone over well with a mainstream, living-room audience.

22. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

Alot of people compare UT04 with Halo. Believe me, UT04 is an amazzzingggg game. I love that game the game play is nuts. Better then Halo? I dont think you can honestly compare the two. Their very different types of games. Both FPS yes but I see Halo games as more of a social experience while UT04 compares more to CS, Tribes type games. Plus UT04 didnt really have much of a story to it. But online...dear lord. game was sooo sweet.

Pathetic part is. I bought the Special Edition box that game in the Metalix box, with a Headset and a DVD with behind the scenes and all. I have all that (for pc of course) but I cannot find the install disk. I even have the serial code cause I have the case for the game too. Just No Disk to install again sense I built my new comp :eek: :mad:

23. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Loved the first game and having just finished all three Halo books, I'd have to agree that the Halo story and its universe is one of it's strongest points.

24. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Not much of a storyline? It's storyline is "you're in some tournament thing. go kill people" :p The first FPS that doesn't even pretend to have a storyline :D

25. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

lol exactly :D