is ibook available with "superdrive"?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mykemp, Dec 10, 2003.

1. mykemp macrumors newbie

I'm a Mac newbie... I am interested in getting a new lap top, and I've been looking at the 15" G4 Powerbook with Superdrive... however, the i-Book is a little more in line with my price range.

I plan to use my Mac for web browsing, general use, some simple programming/web page development. So I believe an i-Book would be a good choice, however, I would also like to do some DVD editing, and convert some old videos to DVD, so I'd like a "superdrive".

Does anyone know if the "superdrive" is available in the iBook? -or- if it will ever be available in the i-Book... or should I just sit back and continue saving for the powerBook?

Thanks!

2. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

no superdrive option for the iBook...

in the future, who knows... but considering iBook just got slot loading, it could be a while, if ever, that iBook gets the superdrive option.

3. NP3 macrumors regular

I would say the superdrive will not be availabe for the iBook until the Powerbooks get a G5. Because right now, the superdrive is one of the main options between the top of line iBook and 12' powerbook.

If the iBook got a superdrive without updating the powerbooks, then 12' books would loose its niche & wouldn't sell.

If you can wait until (probably June WWDC) for the G5 powerbooks, i would do that.

4. loneAzdgari macrumors member

I do remember that one company/reseller supplied G3 iBooks with DVD burners that weren't compatible with iDVD for no extra cost. I can't remember the company though, and due to the current slot loading drive i doubt they'd be able to do the same with the G4 iBook Range.

5. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

http://www.mcetech.com

I seem to remember finding iBook G4's here but it was pretty well hidden... I'll poke around a little more.

EDIT:

Go to their store. http://store.mcetech.com

Click on Apple Products (left hand side) then on iBook. Tada! It's a $200 upgrade. I'm not gonna argue for or against if it's better/cheaper than a powerbook or what it does to warranty etc. Just noting that it is available.

6. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

iDVD on an iBook

sweet! iDVD on an iBook for $19 ($30 mail in rebate on iLife) plus $200 for the 2x SuperDrive upgrade, and a free 10GB upgrade on the HD (40GB instead of 30GB).

I doubt this has any impact on PowerBook sales, because once anyone gets into editing video and creating DVDs they will quickly realize rendering and encoding take a long time, and an extra $100 or $200 is well worth a 25% performance/ speed increase. consider this a gateway drug. people will move on to the strong stuff as soon as they can.

7. Real Red macrumors newbie

MCE will also install an 80Gig HD for $75 more than the $1333 they want for a 14 inch 933, with 384mb RAM and a 60Gig HD. They claim to be an authorized reseller. They also sell Applecare. Is Apple down with this? Will I sacrifice service buying here.

8. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I don't know squat about the company. I just did some poking around one day and found them.

I would definitely call them and confirm that iDVD works with their installed drives. Otherwise you might be disappointed. There's a chance they might but most of the time it won't work with iDVD.