is iLife '06 worth the upgrade?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by srf4real, Aug 6, 2006.

1. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

I purchased a mini last summer with the 2005 version of iLife software, but it seems apple wants me to buy an upgrade to have latest "improvements". I figure I may wait for the next OS debut for a complete system upgrade anyways... Why should I pay for upgrades to software I'm already using just fine?!:(

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

You shouldn't, unless you want the extra features. The only thing Apple "forces" you to buy is one OS upgrade (assuming you use that machine for 6 or so years) to continue to get security updates for your computer. Other than that it's totally up to you.

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Depends on if you want the extra features or not. iLife 05 will work perfectly well if you're happy with it.

iPhoto allows you to edit full-screen and speeds up iPhoto a little. It also adds in the capability of making cards and calendars if that floats your boat.

iMovie added in themes to your editing and some core video features

iDVD brought in widescreen DVD themes and editing

Garageband added podcasting recording

and iWeb added basic website creation - particularly if you already had .mac

If any of those are useful to you, then pay the money and upgrade. If not, don't and wait to see what comes out in iLife 07 in Jan

4. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Just a couple notes:

iLife is not included with retail OS X, so Leopard won't change anything there.

iLife upgrades have been coming out every year, so if you're only mildly interested in an upgrade, you may as well wait a few months for the 2007 edition.

5. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

I skipped this year because according to reviews, the upgrade wasn't that major. Next year, I'll be getting iLife '07, iWork '07 and Leopard.

6. srf4real thread starter macrumors 68030

srf4real

Thanks, good answers! I would like to get the iWeb feature not included in my '05 bundle to publish a daily surf report but I don't know anything about web pages... I'll wait for Leopard and the latest version of iLife next year, then I'll be asking LOTS of questions!

7. iBunny macrumors 65816

I am gonna say iPhoto 06 is significantly faster than 05. So much so, that alone is worth the upgrade. I am enjoying iWeb tho.. just for the hell of it. :D

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

This late into the year, I'd just wait for iLife 07......

9. PalmHarborTchr macrumors member

ILive....= iScream

I wish I could go back to the old iLife.....this 06 takes three times as long to burn a DVD and its very complicated and not intuitive at all. Figure it will take 4+ hours to finally burn a DVD

05 iLIFE is much better than 06.