iPad Is Internet free with the iPad fourth generation?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Disney Pixar, Nov 15, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

I plan on getting an iPad fourth generation for Christmas. My questions is: do internet services come free with the iPad? Or will I have to buy a data plan in order to be able to access the internet in public with it?

As a follow up question, assuming I have an unlimited data plan on my iPhone 4S, will I be able to tether internet to my iPad and my Macbook Pro when I'm in public?

Thanks in advanced.

2. macrumors member

no and no.

3. macrumors G3

QCassidy352

No it's not free - requires a data plan. Don't think tethering is allowed with any grandfathered unlimited plan but I may be wrong about that. It would be on sprint I believe.

4. macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

If you want a data plan your iPad will have to be an LTE iPad or 3G. There's no such thing as free Internet lol.

Now if you jail break you iPhone 4S you can tether but carriers are catching up and blocking. There's always a new way to tether though.

5. macrumors 68040

To clarify what others have said, if you can find a public wifi network that is free -- then THAT won't cost you to use the internet. Libraries, coffee shops, parks and bookstores sometimes have free wifi.

However, as others have stated, if you aren't on wifi and you want a data connection you'll have to pay for it.

6. macrumors 6502

no my friend, nothing is ever free.

7. macrumors 601

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    So far the answers could be confusing. Maybe the Op is asking about some kind of extra cost for accessing the internet.

Op, if you are somewhere that has free wifi (McDonalds, Barnes & Noble, Starbucks, various hotels, schools, restaurants, etc), you can access "free Internet" via "free wifi." In other words, you could just buy a Mini and have no other costs for accessing the Internet as long as you can tap into free wifi provided by someone else.

If you have a home Internet connection and maybe wifi set up at home, you can access Internet from your own "free wifi" at home. No additional costs there.

If you are wanting to access Internet somewhere and can't locate any free wifi, then the LTE version can access Internet via a cellular connection. Those require you to buy a tier of data from a cell provider like AT&T or Verizon, etc. You can do that on demand (meaning you can turn on cellular-based Internet whenever you need it and only if you need it).

If you are somewhere that sells wifi (such as most of the airlines in flight, some airports, etc), you can also buy some Internet access from this "nonfree wifi".

In all cases, there is no additional fees from Apple for Internet access. It's just a matter of whether you can source free wifi or not as offered by other companies... or if you can't and then need paid cellular data tiers or not.

8. macrumors 6502a

ugcop

I'm waiting for obamanet

9. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

Agreed. If you use LTE or 3G on your iPad, then you will need to pay for the service. However, you are only charged for the months you use it. Therefore, if you don't use it, you won't be charged.

10. macrumors newbie

He won't build that.

11. macrumors 6502a

Does apple ever give anything for free?

12. macrumors 6502a

does anyone ever give anything for free...:confused: especially cellular service providers lol

The OP is either trolling, or crazy - or both :eek:

13. macrumors member

Question: if I buy a wifi only and later see that I should have bought the LTE, is there a way I can get cellular data through a dongle or other device?

14. macrumors 6502a

Apparently amazon give you a tiny bit of data with their tablet for a year or so. Not much thou

15. macrumors 6502a

No

----------

Yes but that version costs more.

16. macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Sounds like someone is upgrading to iPad from Kindle 3G :)

I'm guessing that's what they were referring to. Apple used to give free 3G on Kindle (and I think some models still do). The LTE Kindle is $50 a year for 250mb a month of LTE, so even it's heavily discounted.

But to answer the question, the 3G\4G LTE is not free, it's $30 a month stand alone, or $10 added to a mobile share plan. See the att website for details.

17. macrumors 6502a

Internet is not free, but you CAN tether it to your iPhone with a jailbreak, but I wouldn't apend all day streaming HD video, or they'll catch and killed your Internet.

If you're just browsing the web, the chances of getting caught are close to 0

----------

and apple's LTE enabled model doesn't?

18. macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

You'd have to buy a mobile hotspot for that.

19. macrumors 601

ActionableMango

Yes, you can either tether to your phone or get a portable Wi-Fi hotspot.

Completely wrong.

20. macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    LOL, that's the best thing I've read here all week! :D

21. macrumors 6502a

jonfarr

everything can has for free in land of the free, if want jail.