Is iOS 7 on iPhone 5 terrible on the battery life?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by DBZmusicboy01, Sep 21, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502a

Is it normal that with power saving settings I can only get around 7-8 hours ?

2. macrumors member

My battery life is worse since the update. I've had enough of the animated wallpaper, though, so we'll see if turning that off helps. I think with the new UI I can also live with less brightness. WiFi, however, seems to have become a major drain.

3. macrumors regular

Doublea6

Is that usage or standby? Because that's the most I've ever got with usage. I think my battery life has gotten better with ios 7, it's only when I use LTE that my battery suffers.

4. macrumors member

Should't we be able to get at least 8 hrs of mix use on iPhone? Isn't that what apple advertised? From my understanding the battery life is suppose to be better with ios7. When conserving my battery by shutting off most features I only get less than 6hs. I think thats pretty bad for a phone that is almost a year old.

5. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is anyone experiencing terrible battery life with iPhone 5

I used to get 10 hours with ios 6
    But with 7
    I only get around 6 hours

6. macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Yeah my battery life had gone down during weekend usage. It seemed normal during the week.

7. macrumors 68030

dictoresno

We already have a bunch of these threads already. And yes, battery life on 7 sucks.

8. macrumors 65816

No difference on my end iPhone 5 but funny my signal in some places seems a tad better on AT&T or that could just be me.

9. macrumors regular

10. macrumors 65816

Drunken Master

Yes, but I turned off some of the background app updating and it's been fine since.

11. macrumors newbie

I thought that iOS 7 was made to be light and power efficient.....but its so terrible battery sucking...i restored to factory default, and turn off background updates seems it helps a bit

12. macrumors G4

The same thing happened last year. A bug fix made it better. I notice that the 5s seems to be holding up better than the 5 (both running on AT&T).

13. macrumors 65816

decafjava

Yea my iphone 5 is suffering with this update. But I love love love ios 7 though.

14. macrumors regular

webitorgal

My battery life was fine for two days after the upgrade, but yesterday, I went from 60-something% down to 20-something% within an hour. I don't know what's going on! It's not like my phone is overheating!

15. macrumors member

I had the same problem right after I upgraded my 5. I turned off all the obvious things like parallax effect, push email, location services, etc. but still had noticeably worse battery life than ios6. I would see 10% drops in battery life after only 30 minutes of use.

So I finally drained my battery completely - until phone dies and won't turn on, then recharged fully and that fixed the issue for me. I'm now at 2 days and 1 hour of standby with 2 1/2 hour usage and still at 51%. This is with wifi and bluetooth on as well.

16. macrumors 603

Max(IT)

The same on every new iOS iteration: people noting worse battery life.
    The problem in my opinion is people just playing around with new os features.

Said that, iOS 7 uses a new multitasking and a few new features that could affect battery life.

17. macrumors 6502a

on my 4s so far is at least as good as on 6. I always have turned off a lot of lettings but run bluetooth all the time and live in a lousy carrier coverage area.

Who knows why some are fine and some are really bad.

18. macrumors 6502

I'm getting much better battery life. Around 7, 8h of usage and 1 day of standby. This is 4G and WiFi browsing, Youtube and stuff.

I don't have app background refreshes on, though.

19. macrumors 6502a

I have a Verizon iPhone 5 and am actually getting battery life that is just as good or better.

20. macrumors 68020

iapplelove

i have not noticed a drop in battery performance running gm ios7.

21. macrumors demi-god

Zwhaler

My Ip4 gets a lot worse battery life in standby, but it did have some much needed bug fixes.

22. macrumors regular

webitorgal

I've done a reset and the battery is STILL draining quickly - and I've disabled all "unnecessary" features, too.

23. luminouslight, Sep 22, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2013

macrumors regular

luminouslight

Battery life seems to be good for me so far. Usually 7-8 hours usage. Thats with some light LTE use as well.

24. macrumors member

Battery life honestly seems better for me. On the full charge, I've so far had:

2 Hours, 48 Minutes usage with
    8 hours, 21 minutes standby

25. macrumors 68000

yanki01

2nd cycle on iOS7 from a clean install.

Attached Files: