Is iPhone Capable Of 2 Lines?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacSKY, Aug 12, 2008.

1. macrumors member

Jan 31, 2008
    With all of the features many of us are clamoring for, is it possible for the iPhone to handle two phone lines to one phone? Meaning two separate phone numbers from AT&T coming into one iPhone? I realize that in it's current state it can't, but with a software upgrade is it possible or would this require a different configuration within the radio itself? I carry two phones (1 FLIP, 1 iPHONE 3G) with AT&T because I have two lines with different area codes and I thought it would be great to consolidate them into one phone. I have searched all over the net and Apple's site but don't really see anything about this.
  2. macrumors member

Jun 5, 2008
    Just use call forwarding to forward your flip phone to your iphone. I have a blackberry for work and my iphone for personal use. When I'm at work, I forward my iphone to my BB, and when I'm not at work but expecting a "work" call, I forward my BB to my iphone. It works perfectly.
  3. macrumors 603

Oct 28, 2007
    I don't think it is possible. In fact, there is currently an iPhone app that is being held hostage inside the App Store approval process:
  4. macrumors 603

Feb 4, 2008
    I don't know if it's available in the iPhone firmware, but I know the technology is possible b/c my Razr had settings for up to 4 numbers. I have no idea how it works, but it would be a neat feature.
  5. macrumors newbie

Jul 29, 2009
    2 lines on the iphone

so yes... the phone is totally capable, check out this site if you are looking to get the dual sim feature with no cost...or little cost at that... thanks!
  6. macrumors 6502a

Mar 7, 2008
    Upstate Central NY
  7. macrumors newbie

May 24, 2010
    Line2 app provides full second line with WiFi or Cell Calling

The app Line2 solves the two line problem with a second line with its own voicemail, caller id, and lots of features including call waiting, conferencing, and caller id based caller screening. This app is the top selling second line app in the app store and was reviewed favorably by New York Time's pundit David Pogue here.