Is iPhone getting sue?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Tangerine, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Tangerine macrumors regular

Tangerine

I heard from my friends that Apple iPhone is getting sue because of registered trademark. A company name Cisco already establish the name longs before Apple ever did. Even Apple knows about it, they still insisted on using the name. Why everything must be starting with i? I can already see iTV will have the trademark issue, but I heard it's a temporary name and soon be change when the final is released. That's too bad though, iPhone is a catchy name if it have wireless internet access.

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Yes they are, there already are threads about it but I am too lazy to link to them right now.

3. Tangerine thread starter macrumors regular

Tangerine

Yes I did, but I didn't see anything metion on trademark. Ah well, I usually go to this forums anyway when I'm bored.

4. Sayer macrumors 6502a

Sayer

Cisco didn't use their mark continuously and thus may have invalidated it. Cisco slapped a sticker with 'iPhone' onto an existing product for a while, to validate their mark, but I don't think that will be legally valid.

Also, Apple has started to use the Apple logo before product names e.g. [Apple logo] tv and even [Apple logo] iPhone, so that may be part of the strategy.

Apple under Steve Jobs does have a history of stepping on registered product names/marks such as Rendezvous and Mac OS 9 (OS-9 is a real-time operating system).