Is iPhone the perfect PDA ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TheBrazilianGuy, Jan 10, 2007.

1. TheBrazilianGuy macrumors regular

Jul 26, 2006
    Well, after yesterday I (and the rest of the world) was thinking if
    this device is worth its price. Even without the PHONE capability don't
    you think that the device itself is a killer PDA ? Just having Wi-Fi and the
    touch screen technology is by all means great.

Does somebody know how much Cingular charges for breaking the current contracts ? US$ 200 ? 300 ?
  2. crdean1 macrumors 6502a

Feb 14, 2005
    If I were to break my contract with Cingular, and I am assuming it is the same across the US, it would cost me $175 per phone line.

And yes, the iPhone is a "killer PDA".
  3. iSaint macrumors 603

May 26, 2004
    South Mississippi y'all, near the water!
    Or, PDA killer? I'm always thinking of someone else I need in my phone while I'm out traveling. Having the entirety of my contacts and calendar on my phone would be wonderful!
  4. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Aug 29, 2006
    I dont know whats the standard in battery life, but 5 hours seems pretty weak to me
  5. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

Apr 14, 2006
    Clemson, SC
    5 hours of talk time is pretty good, IMO. Plus the battery life is better for just audio, and even better than that for just standby.
  6. animenick65 macrumors 6502

Sep 17, 2006
    Apple was probably stuck with the battery technology, and 5 hours isn't that bad considering the size and brightness of the screen. I don't think its a killer PDA. It seems like its more of a luxury item than anything, at least it seems thats what Apple wants it to be. They didn't show off any type of enterprise type software with it such as being able to view .pdf files or editing rich text files. Seeing as the only people that will be able to afford one of these are the kind who would use it for work, I think Apple should have shown off some of its other possible talents.
  7. Sesshi macrumors G3

Jun 3, 2006
    One Nation Under Gordon
    The thing is that to override the Apple Effect, other manufacturers are going to have to come out with a totally killer smartphone. Having seen a couple of those which were forthcoming later this year I don't see that happening. Even if you get pretty close, if you're not definitively outperforming the iPhone I would imagine the market will ignore it.

(Lack of) PDF mentions is something I also picked up on as well, but if rich email is supported, I suppose there's no reason to doubt at this stage that the iPhone will be unable to open such files.

I'm definitely an 'enterprise type' user and usually, all I do and would want to do on a phone is to read and send emails, look up my contacts and calendar, and apart from that amuse myself. I believe it's limited vertical and nerd markets who wants the kitchen sink. I think the featureset is perfect for the mobile regular professional.

Depending on the syncing functions with Windows (and I doubt Apple will ignore that side) it does seem like the perfect phone for me with one major exception.

One thing I definitely didn't see is push contacts and push calendar from Exchange or any mention of Apple technologies in this regard in combination with Leopard Server. If you like me have an assistant who updates your calendar and contacts into a central Exchange Server, then you need your contacts and calendar pushed out to you as well. While I don't doubt that the iPhone could do it, I notice they didn't make any announcements about their own technology or any tie-ups in that regard. RIM certainly won't partner, and I doubt Good would now that they've been taken over by Motorola. That would be a killer step for the larger small business.
  8. siurpeeman macrumors 603

Dec 2, 2006
    the OC
    i'm not sure if i'll prefer the iphone's text input over a stylus. i guess we'll have to wait and see.
  9. TheBrazilianGuy thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 26, 2006
    "I think Apple should have shown off some of its other possible talents."

Indeed...but yesterday was just a show. If they really have a crippled
    OSX there, the ability of reading PDFs and such will be there soon.
    Actually, it was sort of easy to foresee a huge number of other
    applications on that device (SSH ? Skype ?)

So, the lesson for all other companies is quite clear : create
    something that costs less than US$500 (basic iPhone) + US$200 (contract fee)
    with that wonderful interface ((like this :
    with some kind of (open) connectivity and everybody will but it.
  10. risc macrumors 68030

Jul 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    Without support for VOIP, Office, and a heap of other stuff I say no. Hell without 3G I say HELL NO! I'll reserve my judgement on Apple phones until Apple release a 3G one it's 2007 where's the 3G Apple?
  11. kellen macrumors 68020

Aug 11, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    I think it is a little premature to deem this the killer PDA, especially when no one has used it. But based off of what we do know and the killer presentation, it seems to have all the right things to make it one.

One thing I don't like is the lack of a keyboard. I agree with Jobs view on buttons, but a keyboard isn't going to change radically over the years. I like the one on my Treo, but still can't see how I could be quicker with a touchscreen keyboard due to no differences in buttons and their feel. Then again, its not like I am typing 80 wpm on the treo. I guess I will have to hold off and see how it goes.

Price doesn't seem to be that big of deal, as the HP ipaq and other PDA phoens were 400-600 in price, although since cingular has a lock on them until 2009, I don't see the price falling.

If it works as good as it looks and as well as during the presentation, I am sure I will pick one up.