Is iPhoto '05 sucky?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Abstract, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Okay okay, I'll admit that I'm not the biggest fan of iPhoto. It doesn't have enough features, and I personally think it's sluggish. However, I still use it. I guess I could switch to iView Media and ditch iPhoto, but I'd rather use the iApps.

Anyway, I don't use iMovie or iDVD (don't have a Superdrive or digital video camera), so is iPhoto alone worth the upgrade price to iLife '05?? I don't have Garageband either, but since I don't play any instruments, and GB isn't anything like Fruity Loops on the PC, I don't have much use for it, either.

So the only reason for me to upgrade is to get iPhoto '05. Is it worth the price? Is it a major improvement? I see there are lots of new features and editing options, plus nested albums, which makes it enticing, but is it like a jump from Jaguar to Panther, or just a needed update of a subpar program?

It appears to be good, but in your opinion, is it a huge jump in speed and features? Are the features useful, or do they only appear useful on paper?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Just out of interest, which iPhoto are you using? I assume it's iPhoto 3 because you don't have Garageband. I upgraded from 3 and haven't noticed a huge difference. The new features aren't that great and the speed isn't massively improved, but it is noticeable. Personally, I wouldn't bother with this one if you don't use the other iApps, wait for '06. :)

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I only got iLife 05 over the weekend - primarily for iPhoto. I do think it's quicker than iPhoto 04. The Edit function is much improved, at least for basic stuff; I edited more pics last night (very quickly) than I've found time for in the past when I used to take everything into Elements; having said that if I was doing something complex or where I wanted lots of control, I'd still be taking it into Elements.

I think it's easier to navigate through some of the pics, particularly in the Edit screens. And the improved larger thumbnails as you scroll through images before it loads the bigger image is very useful.

I'm actually considering buying some photobooks now. It seems much easier to play around and move things on pages - and they're much cheaper.

I've also read that iMovie HD should help with those occasions you want to create a movie from your pics since iMovie 04 wasn't great at keeping definition on your photos. But I haven't played around with this yet.

I'd still like subfolders in the full Library so I don't have to see all the film rolls. Or keep the film rolls visible from within a smart folder if I want to.

4. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

I like that "Is iPhoto sucky?!".. ahem. :) :p

I like iPhoto. I assume you're still using iPhoto 2 as you don't have GarageBand. (For the record, there was no iPhoto 3). iPhoto 4 was a massive improvement in performance over iPhoto 2 so you'll see even more of a jump when you move up to 5. The editing features are better, as is the slideshow feature.

I would get it, simply because iLife is fantastic - and you might get into GarageBand - you never know. And even making movies of your still photos in iMovie is fun. If you have a Superdrive, you can then burn your slideshows to DVD, which is great for viewing on TV. I think it's worth it - but I do like iPhoto.

5. iGary Guest

iGary

So far I am not much on iPhoto 5 - very buggy on my G5 iMac, slow to load at home...we'll see.

6. Abstract thread starter macrumors Penryn

Abstract

You're ALL wrong...... I have iPhoto 4.0.3. ;)

This would only be a jump from iPhoto 4 to iPhoto 5. I don't have Garageband because it came out several months after I got my 1GHz G4 12" Powerbook back in October 2003. Anyway, I know that iPhoto 4 is a major improvement over 2. I just heard that iPhoto 5 is faster, and the EDIT screen may now actually prove useful and more complete. Oh, and nested albums.

But I always wonder about these "improvements." Speed improvements......hmmm.....seems like the placebo effect to me, sorta like after an OSX update, where people claim their machine to be faster than before. ;)

Anyway, I don't think I'll be purchasing this one.....not for $89 Aussie dollars. I don't think Garageband proves useful with no music skillz.

Thanks anyway. :)

7. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

Nested albums and photobook options are what I am after. I give a lot of books as gifts. I don't use GarageBand or the video editing apps just iPhoto.

I think it is worth the price but I get a 50% discount because of university affiliation.

But I'm stuck on Jaguar until Tiger comes out (iLife '05 requires 10.3) so I'll have to wait. I also need to go play with the nested albums in the store before pulling the trigger.

8. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

iPhoto 5 is great! As a photo management app, it does its job really well. I use iPhoto mainly in addition to iDVD so I can manage and arrange my slideshow presentations. As an image editor, I prefer to use Photoshop but most of iPhoto's editing abilities are good, especially red-eye reduction, tilt correction and adjustment widgets.

9. iGary Guest

iGary

Give me a week and I will let you know.

I spent the last two weeks finally post-processing all of my images form the last year (100 CD's worth), and I am currently importing 10.5 GB's of images into iPhoto in order to have quick access to them (after backing them all of on a second drive and a FW drive, of course).

We'll see how it does - only about 900 images in my portfolio right now, and the 6,000 image library I have at my office chokes frequently.

Like I said, we'll see. :D

10. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

iPhoto 5 is a bit of a let down.

My favorite thing about iPhoto 4 was being able to quickly scroll through a big photo library, but the scrolling is far more jerky in 5.

Also it used to have a good zoom function, but now it seems gutless. iPhoto 5 simply won't zoom in as far as 4.

11. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

agree with you there
    it you are only going to get iLife for iPhoto then dont bother, its not that much of an improvement id wait and hope that maybe the next revision will be very good

12. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

I love iPhoto 05. It isn't massively improved from 04 in my opinion, but the features and changes they've made have been to my liking overall. It's not really worth buying iLife 05 just for it though.

13. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Out of interest, how did you get hold of iPhoto 4? ;) It was released alongside GarageBand in January 2004 (after your PowerBook purchase) as part of iLife '04 and never released separately.

14. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

I like the new editing tools, as I don't have to take them over to Photoshop just to tweak them now. The new books are great as i have always wanted to do one, but never had enough money. I ordered two this week for gifts so I am excited to see how they turned out. The new organization features are nice and they finally made it so that it takes me to my new roll after an import. It always bugged me that it would take me back to my previous spot in the library and I would have to scroll down to see my new photos.