Is iPod Stolen?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Vader, Jan 17, 2007.

1. macrumors 65816

Vader

A friend wants to sell me an iPod. I don't think he stole it, but I think whoever he got it from might have stolen it. Is there any way I can check on this? I got the serial #, is there a service from apple for this or anything?

2. macrumors regular

Try calling applecare and talking to them.

3. thread starter macrumors 65816

Vader

I just don't want to buy this thing and then loose it/get accused of stealing it.

4. macrumors 68000

zephead

That whole thing sounds a little iffy to me. If you think he stole it, it wouldn't be a very good idea to buy it because you could get tangled up in the whole thing. I don't really know about the serial # lookup and stuff though.

My vote: NO.

5. macrumors 6502

A thats my ipod you theif...ehhhhh just kiddin:) thats receiving stolen property evrytime i bought something stolen it don't last ,eventually something bad ha:( ppens to it!

6. macrumors newbie

lol! so true...

7. thread starter macrumors 65816

Vader

Well I talked to the kid, and he said the guy he bought it from had it for a long time. So I think it wasn't stolen, and I bought it, $40.

Well $40 was all I had now, agreed on price was $80. Hold switch doesn't work, it is scratched, and it is the original 30gb 5th gen, so it is old.

8. macrumors 6502a

nickster9224

I think it was worth like 30 at most.

9. thread starter macrumors 65816

Vader

$30?!?!?!
    What? How do you figure that?
    This ipod is like what? Worth about $200 new/refurbished. Take in the wear (mostly just bad on the back, screen and front are not bad) and the hold switch being broken, I would say the $60 we agreed on when I found out the hold switch is broken is a pretty good deal!

10. macrumors 68000

Reflow

That not to bad as long as it got a good battery

11. macrumors G3

Uh.. the 1G came in 5, 10, and 20gig models... Wha?link

12. thread starter macrumors 65816

Vader

My mistake, by 1st gen, I meant 1st gen video ipod, I meant to say 5g.

13. macrumors G3

Well.. a 5G iPod for $80? Just IMO it's a little sketchy... Just remember that being in possession of a stolen item, even if you were ignorant of its stolen status, is still stolen, even if you paid someone for it.

Be safe out there...

14. thread starter macrumors 65816

Vader

Well, first when I asked him where he got it, he just told me a name of someone I didn't know. Today he said it was a 20 year old (kid told me this guy doesn't steal stuff) who had it for a long time. From this I assume it is not stolen. Also, this kid bought it for $120 because he was going to sell it to someone for $140, but then they didn't ant it, so I offered him $50, he said $100, I said $60, he said $80, and then he got mad at himself, but I held him to it. I think he doesn't know he can sell it for more in the real world, plus he is only a high school freshman, so he can't do ebay or stuff like that.