Is iPod touch 4g worth upgrading from 2g

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Ipodtouchnight, Oct 30, 2010.

1. macrumors newbie

I have and iPod touch 2g that's pretty great but I heard the 4g has the same ram has the 3G and the cameras are bad

2. macrumors 68020

Firestar

GameCenter probably would be nice. Facetime would also be nice. Same with the Retina and Gyro. If you have the cash, yes.

3. macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Do it!

4. macrumors 68030

sracer

There are plenty of benefits to iOS 4.x that aren't available on the 2G. One of the "sleeper" features is the addition of a Bluetooth profile for keyboards... the Apple BT keyboard works great with the 4G iPod Touch. The built-in mic and videocam work pretty well. But if you are satisfied with your 2G then save your money... for now.

5. macrumors 65816

tablo13

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Game center is in 4.1, so you can get it on a 2g too. However Retina Display is VERY worth the upgrade to 4g.

6. macrumors 68020

Firestar

And?

7. macrumors member

You can get that on the 2G anyway.

8. macrumors 68020

Firestar

Oh. I see now.

9. macrumors 65832

wywern209

A4 processor allowing you to do more with apps. Better screen. more ram so no apps crashing. I sometimes have apps crash on my 2g. By the time next year rolls around, i think apple will be phasing out the touch 2g support like they did this yr for the 1g. It would be wise to upgrade now. Also, the camera isn't THAT bad and the new touch is even thinner than the 2g. the 4g is as thick as the 2g when the 4g has a case on it. Trust me. Great upgrade.

10. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank u for your comments

Thank u guys I'm going to get it I went to go test out my friends 4g and that screen is amazing and his is very fast and I can't stand how I can't change my wallpaper on the 2g without a JB i don't really care about the camera because I have a much better one.

11. macrumors 68020

Firestar

Ok. Cool. :) (Come back with light leak advice! :eek::D)

12. thread starter macrumors newbie

What's light leakage

What's light leakage?

13. macrumors 65816

tablo13

Light leaking from in between the black bezel and chrome.

14. macrumors 604

wordoflife

Personally, I don't think its worth upgrading unless you are on a first generation or have a broken iPod. I've got a 2nd gen iPod right next to me and its as good as ever. Then again, I'm sure you use your iPod for more than listening to music so maybe its worth it for you.

15. macrumors 6502

If you like to use your touch for more than music, yes. It is a bit faster, better display, and it has a camera.

16. macrumors regular

I agree with this comment. I have an 8GB iPod touch from this past summer. I don't use anything other than music. So, I do not see much difference from past iPod touches to the new iPod touch.

17. macrumors regular

ghostshadow

I'd say if you want it, do it. The pro's definitely outweigh the cons. The A4 is fan-tas-tic the display is beautiful, battery life is much better, sound quality is much improved. The camera shoots great video, pictures do need help, I have found using other camera apps can help get better photos. I especially like ClearCam http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/clearcam/id364930963?mt=8 - I have gotten fantastic results from it, actual usable pictures.

The size difference is annoying at times but I have grown to like it more over time. Plus when you add a case it get's much better.

It's definitely worth the upgrade in my opinion. Sell the old one and buy the new one, that's what I did and I don't regret it at all.

18. macrumors 68000

mofunk

The other day I had to pry my 4G out of the hands of this kid who has the 2G iTouch.;) Its definitely worth it. I sold my 1G iTouch and used that towards a 4G. Adding to the other comments, better battery life. Voice Over feature is great especially if you are driving or working out. You can just hold down the home button a say a command like "play song list XYZ"

My 1st G iPod touch still works and does extremely well. I sold it because I had over 100 Apps, and I needed more space.

Yeah the size,... I'm waiting for a decent case to put on mine. Right now I have my Xtrememac case 2G but haven't found anything that is like that yet.

19. macrumors 604

wordoflife

How much were you able to sell your first generation iPod Touch?
    I have an 8GB right now.

I also have a 8GB 2nd Gen iPod Touch which I may just keep. Plus, I wouldn't want to look and get used to the retina display, and then curse the display on my iPhone whenever I needed to use that.:eek:

20. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thanks u guys I sold my 2g on eBay and saved up and brought the 4g thank u so much it's really a amazing device.

21. macrumors 68020

Apple...

Nice! Glad you're enjoying your device! ;)

22. macrumors regular

Good for you! Enjoy your new toy :)

23. macrumors 6502

Yeah, it's night and day.

I could NOT stand to look at my 3g after getting my iPhone 4. Couldn't get a 4g fast enough.

Only wish it was IPS though. I still remember that Korean (?) leak that showed that fire screen bootscreen or whatever and I couldn't believe those wicked sick angles.

I LOVE my IP4 screen.