Is is Worth Running in the Rain?

Discussion in 'Community' started by iGav, Mar 31, 2004.

1. macka macrumors regular

Man, that's one complicated looking piece of nonsense. My siblings are eyeing me strangely...holding a tape measure against chest... :p

Running in the rain....will never be the same.
    :eek: :D

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Now that's just silly :D

Knowing how wet you get is fine, but without taking into account the temperature, the type of clothes (absorbent or not, or lack thereof ;)), I find this calculation woefully inadequate in providing you with the necessary information needed to determine if its worth going out in the rain at all!

D ;)

3. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

i'd like to see the mental aspect also considered...

the negative mental reaction of being miserable in the rain, getting wet.

vs.

the positive mental reaction of knowing that you absolutely made the best call in running precisely to minimize the amount of rain falling on you...

pretty funny stuff. internet is a wonderful repository of trivial (but pretty cool in other ways) information because it is so vast... :D

4. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

The first episode of MythBusters did a test on this too... running makes you more wet it seems. Catch it on the Discovery Channel sometime... it's an awesome show... :cool:

5. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

How do you get that running will make you more wet? It makes you less wet. (because you're exposed for less time).

6. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

When I was in the Army we use to run in the rain a lot. You run regardless. But it was nice because when you were in the finishing leg that rain cooled you off and you thanked God for it.
    Once we ran in a Texas downpour and it was incredible. It was like someone overturned a bathtub on us. I could barely see 5 feet in front of me. It was surreal seeing all of us running in formation to that falling rain. Cool memory though.

7. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I don't have any sort of explanation but think about the difference on your windshield when driving in the rain and being parked in that same rain. It appears you are getting pelted a ton more (granted you are out for less time) but if it doesn't balance out, going faster could outweigh the amount of time. I'm not saying that's a reason but it might make it a tad more believable.

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I know people who do triathlons and run in the rain frequently, so I'm not sure who that would benefit, but it seems quite precise.

Oh well, I would rather bike in the rain where I know I will be completely soaked and will end up with a stripe of dirty water up my back. :D

9. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Would this calculator mean that it's defying ancient wisdom?

From the Hagakure

10. applebum macrumors 6502

I think this is actually trying to answer the age old question - is it better to run from the car to the store (or whereever you are going) or simply walk from the car? Which will get you less wet. I have actually had this discussion with my wife, who refuses to run anywhere. I still say I get less wet by running the short distance.

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I just pull up my hood and walk. Nice and simple :)

12. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Since downpours of such severity as to convince me to run rarely come straight down (more often they're coming down sideways), I find that running in a downpour is usually a good idea.

There's another aspect not addressed in this scenario:

Getting half as soaked on your head and shoulders is still concentrating the water onto a very small target, and one that is more sensitive. Running spreads more out over a much greater area.

13. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Is it worth running in the rain?

I have to say it depends on who you are running from?!?! :D

14. Awimoway macrumors 65816

I'm more likely to go outside for a lovely walk if it's raining. Because plain sunny weather is HOT and BORING. (Can you tell I'm sick of "el desierto"?)

In other words, YES. It's worth it. Bodies like water, as long as you don't flood your lungs with it. ;)

15. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

I always laugh at those nitwits who cover their heads with a single piece of newspaper while there's a torrential downpour. Who are they trying to fool? :rolleyes: