Is iSight a must? Can camcorder be used intstead?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by newmacconvert06, Sep 27, 2006.

1. newmacconvert06 macrumors newbie

newmacconvert06

:( In an otherwise great start at leaving PC/Windows I have had an issue trying to video/audio call with my brother on a PC. I have read that you can use iChat and AIM 5.9 but we are having issues. I also tried yahoo and sightspeed but we either have only video or no connection at all.

I would like to know for sure if the camcorder just isn't passing audio or what. Everything has been "Just Working" for me so far and I guess I'm spoiled. Will getting an iSight make it "Just Work" so that I can keep bragging about my new Mac Mini?

2. DavidFDM macrumors regular

I use a Sony Handycam DCR-HC20 with iChat AV. I have had similar problems with the app but found it was because of the router in front of my cable modem. I activated Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) in the router's control panel (through my browser) and that made eveything work great.

Good luck.

3. newmacconvert06 thread starter macrumors newbie

newmacconvert06

I am using a Sony Handycam DCR-TRV250 with only a cable modem. The only thing I haven't tried and was just thinking was if I had to have a blank tape in and press record to have audio pass? I even bought a $10 mic from Taget just to try going directly in but the Mac isn't wanting to do anything with it (probably a crap mic but still...)

4. nickelbackmac macrumors regular

nickelbackmac

I have a question too. On my Mini (Intel), I have PhotoBooth just in case I come across a deal on an iSight camera. I have a Sony Handycam, will it work on PhotoBooth, or does it require iSight to run?

Thanks!

5. ddekker macrumors regular

isight

I have played with using my JVC DV cam in place of a iSight camera, it worked great, I have a friend that was doing the same with his cannon camcorder at another location, we both plugged in and it just worked with iChat, also played with Yahoo chat and worked well too, the lag was very good, the audio was a little echo'y, so a headset mic setup might be the way to go, but he uses an Airport and I use a Linksys wireless router and neither of us did any set up... check out other stumbles I have run into on my switch over to the mac world on my blog..

D

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

What kind of Mac are you using? Unless it's a Mini or a Mac Pro / Power Mac, it should have a built-in microphone by the display. Alternatively, when you have the camcorder plugged in to the computer via FW, and you go to system preferences -> sound -> input, does it appear as an input option? In iChat in the connection doctor thing, I think, you should also get a mic volume bar at the bottom so you can see visual feedback of whether your mic is adequately picking you up.

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

In an ideal world, iChat works great. In the real world, there are often issues.

To start make sure your ports are set up right (as well as the ports on other user's system); not only does your router serve as a potential roadblock, but, if you have your firewall running (System Preferences...->Sharing->Firewall tab), it could cause issues as well. You need to have the ports open and, if you have multiple computers connected to your router, forwarded to your computer's IP address.

Second, make sure your camera is working with iChat - click on the little camera icon to see yourself - it's the small green button with a "camera" (rectangle + triangle) icon next to your picture in the buddies window. Clicking on it should show yourself as the camera sees you. If that works, your camera is working. If not, it isn't.

8. newmacconvert06 thread starter macrumors newbie

newmacconvert06

I am running a Mac Mini intel duo with 2GB ram and 120GB hard-drive. I have a high-speed cable modem which seems to move pretty fast.

My brother who is across the state has a Dell (I haven't converted him yet) and a high-speed conection.

Neither of us use routers, hubs, switches, etc. I can see in iChat the video and microphone level so I think it's working but when we try to connect it looks like it will work but doesn't.

If he calls me, I will push accept and it will say connecting (false sense of hope that I seem to fall for every time) but then it won't and I get the error message. It says a lot but I think the important part is "Error-8". On his end it says something about firewall or connections. I had him turn off his firewall and the same result.

Oh, I am using an AIM account I created. We have also tried Yahoo (which dumps me all the time (but we never get audio nust video) and sightspeed which will allow me to connect with others but again with no audio.

Is there something specfic I can do or do I need an iSight or perhaps get something that will allow me to load windows (HATE) and go that route?

Thanks to all for helping!!!:confused: :confused: :eek: :confused: :confused: