Is it a good time to buy a MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by knowledg333, Oct 30, 2006.

1. knowledg333 macrumors member

Hello friends.:D

I need your input. I'm in the market to buy one of the new MacBook Pros.:cool: I have been postponing my purchase until the release of the Core 2 Duos, which recently came out. Now I'm wondering if it is the right time to buy, since the MacWorld expo is right around the corner. I personally think that a Leopard release in january is just the type of jazz and fireworks that Steve Jobs is synonymous with.:p But maybe there will be more happening.:rolleyes: Waiting to see if Leopard comes out in january is tempting enough, but what if there are anymore subtle upgrades to the MBPs?:( Perhaps there will be a new video card option, or the 3 GB of RAM will be cheaper, or a larger hard drive that spins faster than 5400 rpms. I'm conflicted friends. What do you all have to say about it?:confused:

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Buy now...an update to MBPs anytime soon is verrry unlikely.

3. ctsport1234 macrumors regular

4. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Yep unless you want to wait until Leopard comes standard on it

5. mdntcallr macrumors 65816

mdntcallr

ditto. the laptops were just updated. unlikely to get a refresh of any kind for 1/2 a year.

the only likely new models could be a slim model, without as much power, or perhaps a 12" mbp.

6. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

This is the perfect time to buy. Buy now and enjoy it!

7. gammamonk macrumors 6502a

gammamonk

I agree with everybody. They just updated the cpu, so you get more bang for your buck right now.

Make sure to get that Applecare!

8. xiaoyu04 macrumors member

9. brikeh macrumors 6502a

brikeh

I just ordered. The low end(Ooh I hate calling it that) model: 2.16. Ill be picking up 2 extra gigs of RAM as soon as I poosibly can...I just dont get what people are waiting for now. Youll be waiting forever...:D Meanwhile...I´ll be enjoying the hell out of my MBP.

10. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

a) it's not the first CD out the gate, so some of the "nits" have been addressed (and the 15" got FW800 and DL drive)

b) this is the one you've been waiting for - full support for 64-bit (which will mean more when the os gets a big kick to 64-bit with Leopard.

c) I agree - nothing more than possibly a speed bump, and that'll probably be 6 mo. off. It'll be a loong time before any more cores get added. For mobile that will probably have to wait until the next jump in mask size reduction (to around 40nm, I believe).

so - yep, I'd say it's one of the better upgrades to jump in at.

I've been watching the Intel trasisiton closely, and a friend of mine got one of the 2.16's last spring. This is a much faster and easier transition than when Apple went from 68k to PPC.

My current machine isn't exactly a slouch, but I've started doing more video and hi-res/RAW photography and the speed will be very useful in new C2D. (current PBG4, 17" 1.67GHz, 2MB RAM, 160GB HD, 2.4x DL DVD) - bought Mar. 2005)

11. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

I consider the "low end" model to be something of a bargain. 0.17Ghz of cpu clock less and 128MB less vid memory that most people don't need anyway.

12. brikeh macrumors 6502a

brikeh

I totally agree, I wasnt even suffering with my PB´s 64mb VRAM but then again I dont play games..its mostly for Reason, Logic and now even a couple of Windows Apps. I cant Wait!!! :D

13. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Interestingly my main app is also a music one (Ableton Live) so I don't have a demand for beefy vid cards.

14. meepm00pmeep macrumors 6502

meepm00pmeep

i'd get it now, you could always buy Leopard later and no matter what technology advances so enjoy the new C2D before Santa Rosa comes around

15. islandman macrumors 6502

Buy it now! I doubt the MBP will be updated again soon. When Leopard comes, it will probably ship on the same hardware available today.

16. chileno123 macrumors newbie

I just got one... my first mac... and i'm lovin it :D

17. tekmoe macrumors 68000

all i can say is i absolutely LOVE my new c2d mbp and I am so glad I waited to get the 64bit chip. feel sorry for the suckers who couldn't resist and had to buy the previous gen.

18. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

The logic board chipset is still 32bit though.

Personally I would still have done what you did though. Now is the time to buy a MBP.

19. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

mr_matalino

I'm sick of these posts (yet I continue to read them)! If you want one now, BUY IT NOW! You can wait forever for upgrades and never be happy and always as the same question...Should I wait? If you need one now, buy now...if you don't...wait...

20. djkny macrumors 6502

and if you don't .. wait .. buy now ... and if you don't buy now ... wait .. and if you can't do either, humble yourself and check yourself into a rehabilitation facility for obsessive compulsive disorder ...

21. danidoll521 macrumors regular

Buy it now and enjoy it...there is no reason to wait if you want and/or need a new computer. It's never a bad time to buy a Mac :D

22. fred_garvin macrumors regular

If you have a strong need, now is the best time to buy a new MBP. If you could wait as much as a year, the I think value wise, around June 2007 is the real best time to buy.

Oct 2006 Merom MBP released
    Jan 2007 iLife 2007 becomes bundled
    Apr 2007 Leopard becomes bundled
    Jun 2007 Santa Rosa MBP released?

If you wait till Jan, might as well wait till April. If you wait till April, might as well wait till June.

23. knowledg333 thread starter macrumors member

Just placed my order...

Hey friends,

I think you will all be happy to know that I have placed my order for my new 17" MacBook Pro. I opted for the 100 GB HD, and the matte display. I have finally switched.:cool: This has taken way too long. Ever since I first say the 17" Powerbook, I had wanted to get away from PCs. I've only been able to make it this long because I have been using an old Pentium 3, with Windows 98 (no viruses lol). That was painful enough, but now I am officially part of the Apple Community.:D Thanks for all your input, I really appreciate it.

24. robcts macrumors regular

and then in june he cant wait until august, september, october, or november for the new processor!

25. islandman macrumors 6502

lol. It's a never-ending cycle!