Is it at all possible to run 10.3 on Beige G3?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by woodsey, Oct 20, 2003.

1. woodsey macrumors regular

I have an old beige G3 266 in my room. it has 416mb ram and a 6mb ati graphics card, a 4 gb hd, zip, and a two usb ports which were installed after purchase. It doesn't run Jaguar too badly, but i am most disappointed to hear that it wont run panther at all. Especially because panther is apparently going to speed old G3's up.

Is there any way to make it run panther?

I dont care how. dodgy brothers patch, or super long unix commands... whatever it takes. If someone could help me I would be most grateful.

Thx

Woodsey

2. Lanbrown macrumors 6502a

It has been said that machines like yours are not supported. There is a difference between it being supported and it not working. Your best bet, wait until Panther is released and see what others that have similar systems have to say. If people try it and it doesn't run, you have your answer. If they try it and it does run, you still have your answer.

3. woodsey thread starter macrumors regular

So obviously, its not gonna work by just starting up from the panther installer CD.

Does anyone know how you can get os x to run on unsupported macs? is there an app you can download, or somthing. If someone gives instrucions im willing to risk my computer and see if i can get it to run...

4. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Somebody is on it...

You'd think these machines would have the most to gain by speed increases.

hope!

5. camperslo macrumors newbie

OS X on unsupported computers

There is a utility called XPostFacto that has allowed many to run pre-10.3 versions of OS X on unsupported machines including the 7300/7500/7600/8500/8600/9500/9600 and some clones. As of 10.1, a G3 was required (upgrade cards for 601/604 machines needed). Work is underway for Jaguar. The program is free, with users encouraged to contrbute by registering. Those that do also get access to a support forum. With Jaguar dropping support for machines that didn't ship with built-in USB, there is now an even bigger group needing XPostFacto. Let's hope the technical hurdles aren't too high.

http://eshop.macsales.com/OSXCenter/XPostFacto/