is it bad that my ibook's power brick is sorta hard to get in and out?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Dustintendo, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Dustintendo macrumors member

I tried my friend's powerbook's adaptor on my ibook and it was easy to get in and out, but you have to put some muscle into mine, and im worried what it's gonna do to the ibook's power connector over time.... is this anything to worry about?

2. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Nah, mines pretty hard to push in. The one in the store was too, so it's normal. I mean I don't have to FORCE it in, but it has some resistance. More than a smooth power adapter.

Just think....if you ever put your iBook on a balcony railing, go get some soda, come back, trip over the cord, and it falls off the balcony railing, maybe it will dangle from the power cord instead of separating and falling to a death. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

So long as its appendage is straight, you should be fine. :)

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

:eek: I'm not sure about where this thread is headed! :eek:

I have two power supplies, and on one of them, the RF shield -- the metal collar around the center pin of the plug that goes into the side of the notebook -- is dented, and this makes it require more insertion force. I don't think it's a big deal, as long as it doesn't make erratic contact (like if the light flashes off when you bump it or something).

5. mrichmon macrumors 6502a

I tripped on my powerbook cord while getting up off the sofa. The result was that I jerked the plug partway out of the power socket on the powerbook and jerked the powerbook off the sofa onto the floor.

The powerbook landed directly on the power plug which since it was partway out of the socket bent 90 degrees and dented the powerbook beside the power socket. Fortunately the tip of the power plug did not break off. The net result was that I needed to buy a new power adapter and spent some time with the keyboard removed from my powerbook while I gently massaged the dent out of the case by carefully pushing from inside the laptop.

So far I have not had a problem (touch wood) and it has been 8 months since the fall. :)

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Now I'm confused about how the rule is applied...would this require a photograph or not? :eek: ;) :D

7. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

My 15" Al PB's power adaptor plug connects rather too easily (not too much resistance). But, my 12" iBook and 12" PB has some friction when I plug in the power adapor plugs. Come to think of it, I can also plug in my 15" Ti PB rather easily compared to 12" iBook/PB.