Is it bad to leave the Macbook plugged in all the time?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by xvrockerlouvx, Mar 16, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

Of course i'll unplug it 2-3 times a month and run the battery down to condition it, but other than that, is it bad to leave it plugged in 24/7, including when not using it and it's turned off? Thanks.

2. macrumors 68000

thechidz

batteries will all die eventually. as long as you unplug and drain it once a week you are fine. when I bought my mbp used the battery health was 49%. I keep it plugged in all the time and use it as a desktop so I unplug it once a week. The health has gone back up to 54% now.

3. macrumors 6502a

tsice19

I wouldn't stress out about it. I mean, as long as you have it unplugged every once in a while, it should be fine. Then again, if you have it plugged in 24/7 why'd you get a laptop :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :D :apple:

4. macrumors 6502

I don't think it will hurt it, i believe apple reccommends draining the battery at least once a month though

im pretty sure it trickle charges itself when its plugged in

5. macrumors 68000

thechidz

I just recalibrated my battery by running it down to 0%. As soon as it hit zero health jumped from 54% to 89% and the battery percentage jumped back up. To over 30 and gave me another hour of battery life! I highly recommend recalibratong once per month.

6. macrumors 68020

Hankster

Mobility :) I can't bring my desktop to my couch ;)

7. macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I haven't seen any ill effects from having my laptop plugged for weeks at a time. I do calibrate once a month and the battery health stays pretty decent.

8. macrumors regular

My MB (late 2006 model) is plugged in and running pretty much all the time (day and night) and generally only unplugged to give a lecture (about four times a week for an our or two duration) during regular semester time (26 weeks a year in total). The odd time I'll have it on battery in our lounge or a meeting, but not that often.

I hardly ever recycle. 60 cycles and health is 100% according to iStat.

9. macrumors 68000

krye

I had my 17" Macbook Pro on my dek for a year. I used it as a desktop attached to a cinema display. It was plugged in 24/7. I too let the battery cycle properly in the event I would use it as a lapop, which I never did.

When I did eventually take the laptop of the desk to sell it on eBay I discovered that the aluminum battery backing had warped/bowed from heat/lack of airflow. So make sure that there is proper airflow under the unit. Maybe gett a laptop cooler.

10. macrumors 68000

krye

I for one wanted a desktop, but wanted a 30" Cinema Display too. The Mac Pro being too expensive at the time, I opted for the cheaper Macbook Pro. Also, I certainly couldn't afford both, so If I went on vaction or to someone's house, I'd maybe want to bring a laptop along. So I understand people using laptops for desktop replacement.

11. macrumors 68000

aross99

I keep my MBP plugged in 24x7, except when I am traveling, and my battery health and charge time is still very good. You have a fixed number of charge/discharge cycles, so why waste them if you don't need to, except for maybe conditioning the battery once in a while...

12. macrumors 6502a

I keep my MacBook plugged in all the time as well. I have used 3 battery cycles in 2 months. My health is 100%. I am due for a cycling soon.

13. macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

My MacBook sits for weeks on end at times, plugged in and running BOINC.

I am at 100% health with 23 cycles.

As long as you drain it every once in a while, I don't think there's any need to worry.

14. macrumors newbie

response to battery question

I'm at 158 cycles on my mb and i'm still at 100% health. I attribute that to letting it drain down once per week. However, seeing some of the testimonials above makes me question whether or not i have to do so. thanks for all the feedback...

15. macrumors 6502

sooner or later it will have to be plug-in

my computer:

according to coconutBattery 2.5.1

MacBook Core Duo, black
    Age of your mac: 43 months ~3.5 years
    Battery-Loadcycles: 341

Original Battery Capacity: 5200 mAh
    Current Battery Capacity: 743 mAh (14% of original)

It barely last 15 minutes on battery now. This is the original battery. The first year I had my macbook, on frequent occasions I would use it without wire, but since year two plugin was the only viable way to use the computer. I don't have a problem with this. I've always thought a laptop was more of a light computer that you can move about easily, not necessary a wireless computer on your lap.