Is it impossible to install Panther on a PB G3 (bronze keyboard)?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Belgian IZI, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Belgian IZI macrumors newbie

Nov 9, 2004
    Near Brussels
    My wife uses my old PB G3 (the "bronze keyboard" type), and as I've got the Panther Installation discs (original ones!), I've tried installing Panther on the PB... As the PB model is mentioned on the Apple site as OK for Panther, I thought "why not?"...
    Well, appparently Panther has a good reason, because it just won't install... I've tried anything, but somewhere in the middle of installation (not always on the same spot, mind you), it gives me a 'installation failed' and that's it... Won't boot -- have to go back to Mac Os 9 -- and obviously no Panther to work with...
    Any suggestions/ideas as to why Panther won't purr, and as to what I can do to be able to install the feline I love so much on my G5 (seperate install discs, shouldn't be the cause)? I've traid a lot of stuff -- even creatiing a 10.3.6 "emergency boot disc", but that doesn't work either: it won't boot on the PB, just keeps skipping on and on, without really reading the CD Rom...
    Thanx in advance for any help/ideas, I can use all the help I can get...!

By the way -- a happy (belated) thanksgiving to you all! We don't celebrate it in Belgium, but I remember it fondly from my years in the States, so...
  2. TLRedhawke macrumors 6502

Sep 17, 2004
    A) Make sure you have at least 128MB of ram. I know it seems obvious, but it needs to be said.
    B) It's possible that there's either a hard drive, or a CD error. That seems the most likely thing.

Other than that, no idea.