Is it just me or ... (Black Macbooks)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by phungy, Jan 11, 2007.

1. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

Is it just me or do black Macbooks not stand out from the crowd? I wouldn't mind having a blackbook to match my setup but wouldn't pay extra for the paint job granted it is only $50 extra.

I was in the computer lab today and as I was leaving, I immediately noticed a MBP and white Macbook but only noticed that someone had a blackbook after taking the time to see what other notebook brands were being used. I seriously mistook that guy's blackbook for an HP. It just looks like another Thinkpad/HP notebook..

Also while in lecture hall/class, white Macs def. standout. Maybe its cause I have one and if I had a blackbook it'd be different .... nah :p

2. IDANNY macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

I actually think that blackbook stands out more then the others. Well at least it does to me probably cause of the pismo.

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

The big illuminated Apple on the lid tends to give it away.

4. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

i have a white macbook, but if the midrange version was available in black, which it's not with the C2D, I would have gotten black. The white shows dirt and crap way too easily.

5. ShermDog macrumors regular

I think the white MacBook does stand simply because it is a different color from most laptops out there. But, I don't have any problem picking out a black Macbook out of several PC laptops--it's just "sexier".:p

6. ericssonboi macrumors 6502

Black isn't suppose to stand out..
    Its subtle..
    And not everyone wants the attention..

7. aquajet macrumors 68020

Yes, I agree the blackBook doesn't stand out so much. In fact, I think the white is more visible because most PC laptops aren't white.

Regardless, after careful deliberation, I've come to the conclusion that the white indeed looks better than the black. I especially like the two-tone on the white. Very handsome IMO.

8. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

I've had non-computer-geek people remark that my white macbook actually looks more non-descript and less flashy than my old toshiba laptop.

9. myshoeshurt macrumors regular

myshoeshurt

I was torn on the whole black vs. white thing when I bought my iPod. I wanted white, but got a great deal on a black one. I like it quite a bit now... but it still hasn't convinced me to pay extra for a black MacBook (though the HDD IS bigger).

I can go either way, personally. Though if I was at an internet cafe, I can say I'd most likely notice a white one before any black ones. Just because I'm conditioned to WHITE=APPLE.

Just have to say it -- this thread is going to start looking more and more ambiguously racist as it grows, isn't it?

10. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

I definitely think the black is the sexiest one....and the better looking of the two Macbooks, but then again, that is probably because I have one and also because it reminds me a great deal of my Pismo...;)

11. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

It looks like any other until...what's that i see? A glowing apple logo? ooooo

12. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Black is definitely better looking, and hides into the sea of PCs a lot better :rolleyes:

I've seen a demo unit with a very well worn trackpad and case though, that is one classic example of why a matte finish sucks for the MB :(

13. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

:eek: There's an illuminated Apple on the lid???????? :eek:

14. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Thought you own an iBook from your sig? :eek:

That's the Apple signature!

15. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

So you're saying only people with no self-esteem and a low vanity level pays a premium to get the blackbook? C'mon! :rolleyes:

16. HibyPrime macrumors newbie

So you're saying that only people with low self-esteem don't want attention while they are trying to get work done or have some fun?

I don't know about you guys, but if I'm on my computer, it's usually because I'm doing something. If I wanted to grab attention, I wouldn't be doing one of the most anti-social behaviours you can do in public.

I think the blackbook was designed to be subtle, until you see the apple logo, then it sticks out more than almost any other laptop.

17. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

even if the white book (!!) was better specced that the black one.. i would have gone for the black one anyway..

its more discreet as well as looks stylish.. i dont like to draw that much attention :)

cool but discreet - that's me :D hehe

18. adiosk8 macrumors regular

the white macbook just looks cheap and kind of like a toy to me...and if you are spending that much money whats another 50 bucks for something you want?

19. Palad1 macrumors 6502a

Palad1

20. TequilaBoobs macrumors 6502a

TequilaBoobs

i think the blackbook is more versatile as well - it would fit in a conference meeting or down at your local starbucks. plus, amongst apple fans the black means 'upgrade', so it has cache as well. of course im partial, cuz i own one!!

lots of people at the institute where i attend school have the white or silver macs, and so far im the only blackbook. it's nice to be unique within a brand that stands for being unique.

21. phungy thread starter macrumors 68020

phungy

I totally would have gone for the blackbook but at the time I only had $1400 saved. With educ. discount the blackbook comes to $1500 with tax. By the time I did have enough for a blackbook, classes had already started and I needed it before classes started. I'm loving the whitebook though! :D

22. dorthyinoz macrumors member

the black is so slick but nothing beats the alum

23. Snide macrumors 6502a

Snide

With all the dents that the aluminum models get, I'd say they're easily "beat". :D

24. EasyB macrumors member

EasyB

B L A C K

After having a G4 Powerbook for a few years, the aluminum just seemed dull to me, Black was bad arss once again. I got a Black macbook & iPod. Now if they only made iMacs in black, that would be bad arss.

25. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

I'm guessing they will indeed do that whenever the next form factor update happens. Maybe we'd be able to choose between black and white, like how it is with the MacBooks.